angrypeppers

AFF Level 3, passed

From a week ago...

What a perfect day to jump. I got to the DZ thirty minutes early, but still felt a bit rushed. Not how I wanted to start my day...

My jump buddy was already there, so we sat around for while and waited for the instructor to do the briefing. Travis called our names, and we headed off to the classroom to get quizzed. The briefing went fine, then it was time for the vests. After clearing the cobwebs, the EP's were good, and we started to gear up. We would be jumping from the King Air today, so we practiced exits a few more times, then moved on to the dive flow. My buddy had trouble finding the hackey last time, so she did a dozen or so practice touches...no problems now!

Soon enough, it was time to head to the trailer for the ride to the airplane. Another round of gear checks, and we climbed aboard. There was a two way going out first, then me, then my buddy, then a couple of tandems. I was still nervous as we taxied out, but not as bad as my other jumps. Must be getting more confident or something. Plus, this jump would be fairly simple and fun. I'm going to be released for the first time!

On the ride up, I called out altitudes and reviewed the dive flow. Visualization helps me a lot here. We got to 2k, and the door opened up. That was a bit strange for me. I'm usually tucked up in the middle of the load somewhere, but this time, I could stick my foot out the door. At least once I went over what I would do if I got bumped out the door somehow.

Finally, we got to altitude, and it was time to go. The two way went out, Justin climbed outside, and I got in the door. There's the shake! Do my exit, and we get stable fairly quickly. The COA was fine, but I kept getting the extend legs signals from Travis and Justin. Crap! Thought I had that taken care of this time! I did two practice touches, then two toe taps, then I saw Travis float away from me. That's a surreal sight for someone on their fifth jump! But way cool too. Before I knew it, I was at 6K, time to wave off and pull.

The chute deployed correctly, on heading. Nice! I really enjoy the canopy ride. I took a second to catch my breath, and did my controllability check. All's good. There wasn't much wind today, so I just flew around a bit. Not in a real hurry to get down. At one point, I noticed I was starting to get a little farther from the landing area than I wanted to be, so I turned back. My buddy was above and behind me, so I was keeping an eye on her too. Travis asked me to do a couple of practice flares on the way in.

The pattern was pretty good. The flare and landing was good too...kind of like taking two steps at once. I stumbled again, but at least I didn't put the container or chute in the mud. I gathered up the chute and started walking over to Justin.

On the walk to the trailer, Justin asked me to think about the jump, and we'd debrief on the trailer. My mind was still racing a bit, but once on the trailer, I reviewed the jump as I remembered it. I really like the debriefs. Travis and Justin both were giving me the extend legs signs, and I thought I was complying, but not enough. Turns out, I only needed to do one practice touch, though I did two. Justin said I'm an overachiever...ha!

Once back at the hangar, we dropped off the gear, and debriefed further. Got the logbook filled out "Cleared for Level 4!", and chatted a bit. My buddy passed her level too, so it was a perfect day.

This was the first jump where I didn't get overly nervous, though I was a little bit on the plane ride. It was also the first jump where I really had fun. Not that the other's weren't, but this one just felt different. Maybe because I was let go for the first time. Doesn't matter really. I think it's just because I'm getting more confident. This is a fairly simple level too.

So, I still need to work on leg extensions. And a little better rhythm for the exit. I wish I could do my Level 4 tomorrow, but I'm going to wait till next weekend. I should study some, and practice my leg extensions some more.

Thanks to Justin and Travis for a great jump, and congrats to my jump buddy too!

Chris
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Good job, I just passed my Level 3 on Sunday, It was the best jump for me also because I really liked Free falling by myself. And my confidence is getting better, I wasn't as nervous on the ride up and I looked forward to the exit. Also this was the first time I saw clouds all over the sky, but they weren't near me at all, I really wanted to pass by a cloud sooo bad! I cant wait to do a solo exit and some flips.B|
My drinking team has a skydiving problem

THIS is one reason why I am shooting for my AFF ticket.

I wish I could have been there to share in your success and your smiles.

Congrats, guy.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239