jarrodh

High Speed Mal on Jump 15

Dont forget in this case to look above you by turning your head and shoulder to let the wind go by your body to clear your burble. Everyone should of learned this on there first jump.

That's what I was taught, too, many years ago when ripcords & spring-loaded PC's were the norm, but many instructors now consider that to be old school (unless still using spring-loaded PC's on student gear) because dropping a shoulder could lead to uneven tension on the risers at line stretch, increasing the chances of a malfunction. Many instructors now prefer to teach first jump students to keep eyes straight ahead (at the horizon) at and during the PC toss, and until the deployment sequence starts to stand you up, to maintain even body position.

However, once realizing a problem (like the OP's), dropping the shoulder to change airflow is a good idea PROVIDED there's enough altitude to even bother with that - otherwise, low-timers should just go right to EP's.

Way, way back in a previous life, I had a real bag lock. It was jump number 5, my last static line The rig was a Paracommander with a Capewell release system. I looked up, saw the bag still tight, pulled down the covers, put my thumbs in the rings and pulled. If I remember right, the old version of an RSL was a Stevensons cutaway system. That worked perfectly, so I came down under a big, round, white reserve. I went for the reserve handle, but it was already open. After I landed, I sat there, pinched myself a couple of times, then gathered up and walked back. My old DZ's rules were you made your last static line and first freefall on the same day, so I did a very uneventful hop and pop that afternoon. This all happened at the old DZ at Magee MS. Great place!

I had my 15th jump today and I had a high speed malfunction. It was also my first jump on a throwout pilot chute. I deployed the pilot chute perfectly fine and it caught air, however according to my coach who was flying about 50 feet away keeping an eye on me said the D Bag was stuck in the burble and wasnt getting caught in the airstream therefore causing no canopy to deploy. I felt all of this on my back after the chute didnt open and grabbed the D Bag and pulled it into the airstream which started my deployment. Under canopy I about had a heart attack. Has anyone else experienced this?? Anyone else have a good low timer malfunction story???

This story just does not add up...

no my instructor isnt a dz.commer and I guess I cant really explain what happened that well to my lack of visual to my own back and my low jump numbers. All I can say is that I lived and Im ready to jump anytime anywhere.

After experiencing a serious incident you don’t want to know more about what happened so you can prevent it from happening again? Saying something is rare and wont happen again in 10,000 jumps is absurd.

Is it just me?

_
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

In retrospect I know the malfunction was merely a pilot chute hesitation and was solved when I tweaked my body position when I reached behind my back to clear the Problem, which I now know was not the brightest idea. At jump 15 I didnt know how to articulate what happened and subsequently gave a poor description of the events and made myself look a true dummy in this thread.

I did at that point know how to clear a PC hesitation from a lesson in my AFF but didnt use that technique because it was my first jump on a throwout and I thought I didnt deploy the PC correctly when nothing happened after I pulled. I then reached back to the BOC thus altering, my body position and spilling air on to my back causing the PC to catch the airstream which then initiated the deployment sequence.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

it's YOUR responsibility to make sure 3 things are done. YOU are responsible to make sure the kill line on your pilot chute is set, your brakes are stowed, and your slider is re-opened. If you don't do it, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I'm still learning these terms but by "kill line" I am assuming you mean the PC is cocked. Either way, if someone is packing your chute for you (you rented for example), how are you supposed to know if your brakes were stowed, if the PC was cocked and the slider was opened back up? You can't see these things once the rig has been fully packed.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

Chris,

Some rigs are easier than others to check this stuff. If you opt to rent, checking the slider would be impossible without repacking it yourself. However, you can check the brakes and you can check the kill line (the student rentals i've seen don't even have a kill line). If there is a kill line, there is usually a colored indicator in the bridle just above the pin. Its placed easily for confirmation during a pin check. I believe Tbrown was referencing the many up jumpers who don't pack for themselves. It may not be as applicable to students because you usually don't learn to pack until 50 jumps or so.

This being said, remember one thing...YOU are jumping out of the airplane. You have to be responsible for yourself, student or not. If you aren't comfortable with the rig you have on spend some time learning it and learn how to pack as early as possible. Me personally, i've taken a rental when I was a student and repacked it so that I was comfortable with it. I learned to pack years before I jumped so that was a option that was easy for me.

Most dropzones have very qualified people packing the student and rental gear. However, if you don't like to take the blind trust route learn to pack as soon as possible.

Blue Skies,

Marcel
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

it's YOUR responsibility to make sure 3 things are done. YOU are responsible to make sure the kill line on your pilot chute is set, your brakes are stowed, and your slider is re-opened. If you don't do it, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I'm still learning these terms but by "kill line" I am assuming you mean the PC is cocked. Either way, if someone is packing your chute for you (you rented for example), how are you supposed to know if your brakes were stowed, if the PC was cocked and the slider was opened back up? You can't see these things once the rig has been fully packed.

Just my little 3 cents. I am complete novice in this business, made just 6 jumps and an AFF student for right now, but I think there are at least two things you can easily check even if your rig is closed, brakes and PC cocked. Little hard for brakes though, but possible and just easy for PC kill line. Anybody, correct me if I am wrong!
This is not a notation, this is just guess and my question. I am learning here. :)

WOW... Post before answered my guess. You were faster than me. 10X!!!! B|

I had a pc in tow on my 32nd jump. I had spent a few months out due to a snowboarding injury and just wasn't all that fresh in packing. I did have a gear inspection before I jumped but no one caught my mistake. My bridle was misrouted preventing the pin from ever being pulled. I think I had pulled at about 3 thousand. When nothing happend all I could think was "this isn't happening no...this is NOT happening. I figure I must have been in denial for about 5 or 6 seconds because I didn't actually pull my reserve until about 1 thousand. Damn damn damn that was scary. Since then no malfunctions thank god.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

However, if you don't like to take the blind trust route learn to pack as soon as possible.

I've taken two pack classes (one yesterday and one last week). First pack class was taken at after 10 jumps.

I do check my rigs before I jump, but as far as packing, right now I am a whole lot more trusting in the packers than I would be packing my own and I think it'll be that way until I've got about 50 jumps and have packed and packed and packed about 50 times, developed a solid routine and make sure I do a very good job at packing.

When I took the first packing class the thing that really worried me about packing was the rolling up and folding. It kinda scares me, because I worry about lines getting moved around during that process.

So, you CAN check to see if the PC is cocked after everything has been packed? I don't remember from last night, but I was thinking the window on the bridle was too far away from the pin to be seen after the PC has been stuffed in it's bag? (I don't even like touching anymore on my rig than I have to right now, so I really wouldn't want to pull the PC out of the bag and refold it). lol. That might be a little too cautious, but at this point I'm just trying to be safe by keeping my inexperienced hands off things.

Yeah chris, next time you are watching someone pack or during your next packing session take a look at the window or have an instructor show you where the visible kill line is in the bridle. As far as I know, most kill lines should be visible during a pin check. The only time this would not be true is if you were jumping a pull out. In that case the bridle is not visible as its "S" folded in the container with the Dbag (don't worry bout this for now).

The parachute is not glass. It won't break, so go ahead and put some elbow grease into that pack job :P As long as you keep the slider up and the lines centered you'll be fine. Good Luck on the packing!
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

In that case the bridle is not visible as its "S" folded in the container with the Dbag (don't worry bout this for now).

Well, thats the thing we do "S" fold the bridle inside the PC, that's why I was like huh?

I may or may not screw up on some terminology so bare with me, I just started learning them last week. :P

We are talking about two different things here. The way your rig is set up for deployment, throw out pilot chute, you do "S" fold the bridle in the pilot chute and place it in its pouch. Normally you would tuck any remaining exposing bridle under the container flaps following it back to the pin. At the pin is where the bridle window would be for checking to make sure the pilot chute is cocked. On my rig, I look for the color green.

The pull out system I referred to is a different way of deploying your main parachute. Instead of allowing the pilot chute to pull your pin for you, the pull out system requires that you manually pull the pin. In this case the pilot chute and the bridle are packed with the Dbag under the flaps and you wouldn't be able to see the bridle or the pilot chute. The manual pulling of the pin releases the pilot chute which then opens the parachute in the same manner that your rig works.

Make sure you take anything said here in the forums and discuss with your instructor. It would be beneficial to learn the other deployment system at some point (after your licensed perhaps) so that you understand the pros and cons of each. For now, concentrate on learning the equipment you are using and ask as many questions as you can come up with.
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

For now, concentrate on learning the equipment you are using and ask as many questions as you can come up with.

I understand that. I was just trying to figure out what exactly what was being said.

i had a similar incident on my 2nd transition jump from ripcord to pullout, pitchout or whatever (that thing that was mounted on my leg strap). went straight to silver after awhile. landed with container closed if i recall.

weak throw, dumb luck, case of beer.