fundgh

16 months off, what next

I have been Jones-ing to jump, but somehow 16 months have slipped by without a jump. What the hell happened?! So now the question is, where does skydiving belong in my life, and what am I going to do about it? I feel a bit detached, I don't have a home (DZ), I don't have a regular jump buddy, I don't have a regular rigger for repacks...and the excuses go on. I would like some advise on how to get active again, safely. I obviously need a repack, but what else do I need to do to make sure it all goes the way it is supposed to? Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
...FUN FOR ALL!

Go to local DZ of choice.

Introduce yourself at manifest.

Ask about recurrency.

Ask about local rigger(s).

Ask to be introduced to people in your discipline(s) of choice.

Bring beer or some sort of daytime libation (a cooler of ice water, or Gatorade). Offer beverage. Make friends.

Seriously, just get out to the DZ on a social call. Bring your rig and take it from there.B|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have never had a problem getting along at different DZs. In fact, I have never really had a home. Of my 190 jumps they have been equally spread out amongst 5 DZs and I have jumped at 8 others as well. I can usually make friends and find someone to jump with. The sport is less appealing however if you don't have a good friend who jumps, or someone that you can progress with. My problem is that there are 4 good DZs 2 hrs away from me and 1 small (not quite as fun) DZ 30 minutes away, and I end up spreading myself thin, and have not made myself a regular at any of them. Then I got married, went on a honeymoon, bought another house, started spending more weekends on my motorcycles (my friends ride rather than jump) and skydiving has taken a back seat. My question is more intended for specific procedures I guess. Should I do some solos, should I do some tracking, etc prior to my usual freefly jumps with others? I didn't think of the term "recurrency", so I will do a search for the topic. Any body else go through one of these phases?
...FUN FOR ALL!

Once you get the repack and currency out of the way pick on dz that fits you the best. If you start to go on the same day every week or even once a month you will run into the same people. If you don't find someone that you like jumping with try another day, or another dz.
-Good Luck

Kris is right but Let me fix it.....B|:P:)

Go to local DZ of choice.

Introduce yourself at manifest.

Ask about recurrency.

Bring beer

Ask about local rigger(s).

Ask to be introduced to people in your discipline(s) of choice

:)
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Didja even READ my post?

Bring beer or some sort of daytime libation (a cooler of ice water, or Gatorade). Offer beverage. Make friends.

:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks for the advice!

I am actually not bad at making friends at DZz. The multiple DZ dilemna, and homelessness is just another poor excuse as to why I have dropped out of the sport for a while. My real question is about currency jumps/procedures; and what is a common way of getting one's cobb webs shaked out.

All good responses!
...FUN FOR ALL!

Call the DZ to find out specifically what they will require for recurrency. You'll need to do one, then maybe ask the instructor you jump with for some advice on getting back into it. Probably the same advice as when you are fresh off student status - start small, stay conservative on your canopy choice, and build your skills/awareness/comfort back up.

I'm sure no expert, but I've had 2 extended layoffs due to health issues. After the first (and longest) I went back thru emergency procedures and such, did a recurrency jump, and then some solos just to get back "into things" ... worked on turns, did some flips, worked on landing pattern and execution, etc. ... before jumping with others again.

The 2nd one wasn't as long, and when I went to do my recurrency ... it got turned into an SCR attempt ... LOL! (the instructor knew danged well I'd been staying abreast of things and not totally out of the skydiving frame of mind)

I think the "what should I do?" ... depends a lot on what you have BEEN doing. If you've kept skydiving in your mind so that things aren't totally gone ... maybe need a less stringent refresher ... if you let it go completely ... then you might want to VERY thoroughly review everything from basics/emergency procedures on up (maybe a quick read thru the ISP would be a good start?). I'd definitely make a few solos belly flying ... before getting back into the freeflying since those jumps go so much faster ... make sure you are maintaining alt. awareness and still recover stability ok, etc.
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Here's the deal. Get your reserve re-packed and your equipment inspected by a certified rigger. Perhaps consider renting for a little while with a larger main. Then go to the DZ with your log book and current USPA membership. Buy a new SIM. I personally recomend sitting through a first jump course. Then do your recurancy jump, usually an A licence check dive. Take it slow, like riding a bike it will come back to you. Feel free to send me a PM or an e-mail if you have any questions. Cheers mate!
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.