sraja

Learn from my mistake

On Sunday, we did a 4 way exit which was to grow into a 5 way round. We were then going to turn a few more points - open accordion, compressed accordion and back to a round. It all went fine until we went from the open accordion to the compressed accordion. I floated up, slid to the left and ended over a fellow jumpers burble. I fell on top of him and disloged his main container pin. I went low but stayed in sight of the formation. Then I noticed everyone breaking away as soon his d-bag came out and caused a horse shoe malfunction. The fellow jumper deployed his pilot chute , the malfunction cleared and he landed safely but I felt very bad for having caused this error. Lesson learnt - be aware of everyone else on the skydive and that is more important than making a point.

At the time I fell on him, I didnt think much of it because when I jump with other jumpers of similar or lower numbers we are all tumbling and falling and it hasnt caused anything more than a few jokes about each other back at the hangar. This time it wasnt that comedic and it could have been worse. Learn from my mistake and what is normally a funny occurence could have been much more serious.

Don't beat yourself up. Shit happens...this sport is based around risk.

You learned from it and I'd be willing to bet you'll funnel yourself away from a formation before you let it happen again. That puts you leaps and bounds ahead of some.

Besides...now you can tell people you can do vertical transitions. Good on ya!
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

Ditto. I have made quite a few HUMONGEOUS mistakes! But I never make them twice! Talk it out, learn from it, don't beat yourself up and realize you're gaining experience and knowledge!
:)
"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

Yeah, what they all said. It happens. If you keep jumping long enough, that won't be the last time you get burbled and hit somebody. Try to avoid but anticipate it at the same time. Been there done that.

I too would take a look at the other guys container and see if the closing loop might be loose. Not saying that you can't dislodge the pin even if everything is perfect, but usually a hit as you describe wouldn't cause that. Out of curiosity what type container did he have?
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.