millertime24

Level 4 Out Of The Way!!!

Instructor said I did a perfect level 4 this weekend. It included exit, coa, 1 prcp, 2 toe taps, then he let go of me and just let me fall on my own to check for stability (which the tunnel has given me), then I pulled! All in all not a bad jump, but I must say I dont like being a "dirt lure"B| when I land. I have got to figure out this "flaring" thing they talk so much about.[:/]
Muff #5048

Sounds like you did great, congrats for passing.
Who is your instructor there?
The "flaring thing" is pretty important, but between your instructors commands and getting a little more experience, it'll come pretty quickly.

Disclaimer: Advice about to be dispensed from someone with low jump numbers!

It's not really a "bad" thing per se to come in on 1/4 or 1/2 brakes. In fact, you'll learn how to do just that if you take a canopy control course, but it's not something you should be doing on student status. You need to work on making your landings as soft as possible. Give the canopy a good 10 seconds of full flight while you're on final before you flare, and I think you'll notice a difference in your flare power. :)

The best things in life are dangerous.

I'll give you a pointer that helped me a lot. If you're not standing up consistently, every time you're on final start immediately thinking about having your legs together like you were taught, but try sticking them out in front of you a little bit sort of like you do in a tandem. As opposed to having them straight, which can sometimes cause a face plant. Consciously lift your legs up a little bit. That will usually help you with your over all PLF posture.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

I'll give you a pointer that helped me a lot. If you're not standing up consistently, every time you're on final start immediately thinking about having your legs together like you were taught, but try sticking them out in front of you a little bit sort of like you do in a tandem. As opposed to having them straight, which can sometimes cause a face plant. Consciously lift your legs up a little bit. That will usually help you with your over all PLF posture.

I like the part about having your legs together. I don't like the suggestion of having your legs out in front of you. What does that mean exactly? What is a little bit. You shouldn't have your legs straight, but they should be together and below you with a slight bend at the knee. (as I am sure the OP was taught in his FJC) Is that what you meant by lifting your legs up a little bit?

Anyways, really, there is no reason you can't PLF all your landings till you get a better handle on things.

I really just want to say that you should talk about landings and what you can do to improve them with your instructor. I really hate when students take advice off the internet and put it into practice w/o running it by a local instructor.

The concept used to mildly annoy me, but I just finished up getting my AFFI rating and now more than ever the concept scares me.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I really just want to say that you should talk about landings and what you can do to improve them with your instructor. I really hate when students take advice off the internet and put it into practice w/o running it by a local instructor.

The concept used to mildly annoy me, but I just finished up getting my AFFI rating and now more than ever the concept scares me.

This is also an Internet forum where if people did not give advice it would eliminate the purpose significantly. I mean, not even highly experienced AFF instructors always have the best approach to something. Hopefully no one just takes anything someone says as the best correct answer available.

I don't mean perpendicular to the ground. Just enough so that you don't hit the ground, try to stand it up as a reflex action with your feet hanging *straight* down and face plant or bust your knees.

I just thought I would make a small recommendation as something to try. Doing that made a huge difference in my own landings.

To the poster, congrats on doing well on level 4 and please do speak to your AFF instructor about anything you plan to do differently on your dive.
Rodriguez Brother #1614, Muff Brother #4033
Jumped: Twin Otter, Cessna 182, CASA, Helicopter, Caravan

All in all not a bad jump, but I must say I dont like being a "dirt lure"B| when I land. I have got to figure out this "flaring" thing they talk so much about.[:/]

Is it the flaring itself or are you maybe reaching for the ground with one leg? I did that at first and had some landings that could have been better. It was standing up but ouchie on the ankle.

When reaching for the ground, one tends to also lift the shoulders and hands = toggles a bit, increasing descent rate.

I wasnt even aware of it until an instructor pointed it out to me when he saw me landing.

hth

btw dont be too hard on yourself @ 5 jumps