ljkenny

Jumping in the winter

For any of you unlucky enough to jump in the extreme cold, what gloves do you wear to stop your hands from hurting? Obviously we need something ‘thin’ and ‘warm’.

I have a pair of Neumann (winter) gloves but they do very little in my opinion. My hands are still in a lot of pain once down on the ground. I'm going to try some cotton liners, but I want to hear it from the masses (you lot).

Any ideas?

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!
Why, oh why bigman, won't you let me jump?

I wear gloves all the time. In warmer temps I wear summer Neumanns. In cooler temps I wear winter Neumanns. For the cold ones I wear winter Neumanns with OR PL Base Gloves underneath. The winter Neumanns are sized a little big and the liners are true fit . . . that makes the conbination work well.

For high altitude HAHOs in the winter time I wear Gates ski gloves. They pull off quite easily if I need to get rid of them in an emergency. Otherwise I am able to get a reasonable amount of dexterity and grip while wearing them.

More here
Arrive Safely

John

get a second set of toggles (if you don't want to modify the ones you normally fly with) and some cutaway cable.
Stick a length an inch or two longer than the toggle into the front half of the handle. This will force the loop to open a little bit making it easier to put a couple gloved fingers into the toggles.

Learn to be happy. You can't be there for anybody else in life if you can't learn to be there for yourself.

Thanks for all that guys!

I tried those heat pads last year; they were great for my palms, but my fingers till felt like they were going to fall off.

I've recently acquired a pair of cotton liners. So I'll be sure to try those when it gets a little chillier.

What do the chaps do who jump in really cold places such as Russia etc?

Any other suggestions welcome. =:-)

Too clowdy, too windy, not enough people to fill the aircraft, no pilot in today!

Hmmm....
Personally for winter wingsuiting I use:
1 layer of either "mechanic gloves" or thin leather gloves, one layer latex gloves for warm air trappage, and one inner layer of the same thermasilk liners a lot of other jumpers use. The combo has been proven to -47 windchill, keeps enough dexterity to unzip wingsuit zippers without fumbling and keeps my hands comfy even through prolonged freefalls.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

Sounds good to me!

I think I'm going to try:
1 layer of thin cotton inners
1 layer of latex gloves
Then my Neumann (winter) gloves

Cheers chaps :)