benamoz

Other Canadians?

well, first off, in canada it's PFF, not AFF (a small distinction). that said, i took it over the traditional progression becausei felt i would learn more, quicker, and safer, with instructors at my side. where in canada are you? it is a big country!
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

AFF is only offered in a small handfull of DZs in Canada. Most offer PFF (Progressive Free Fall) which requires a few IAD/SL or Tandems prior to your 1st 2/1 jump.

Like anything, where and by whom you get your training will change your experience. Try filling in your profile for us to give you more local info.
Remster

Well Eden North outside of Edmonton offers first jump IAD and then AFF after that. I spoke with the owner today. I may just go down to Arizona for a week or so and get jumping. I may not be able to wait till spring. So its 2500k for everything. Flight rentals etc....The only other option is the Edmonton Skydiving club and my calls to them have been terrible. They only offer tandem in the winter, no IAD and AFF training....and they are not open to anything else...at least have not been for me....So AFF PFF? Whichever...I think it all means the same. I am going ahead with looking into a good shoot for spring. My starting price is around 5k....and I have crunched all the numbers and spoke to a few pro's and believe I will end up with a 210 square foot chute, and then all the gear...So thats my story. Thus far....
Ben

Okay, that's more to work with.

Sounds like Eden North was talking about taking your AFF during the Invasion at Eloy in January? If so, yup it's good. My hubby did exactly that. He'd done 4 IAD's here at home, we went to Eloy and he finished everything there, and more. It was a great way to do his student work and then move on, without waiting for spring. Great instructors, very reasonable prices for gear rental, and within days you are on your way! And an Otter beats a Cessna, any day.:)
Eden North are good folk. Talk to them further if you have more questions, they'll steer you straight.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

Eden North are good folk

Yep. So are the people at Edmonton Skydive Center.

But the season is over now, and getting a hold of anyone in Canada is hit and miss. If you want to do your PFF over the winter, then going with a club that goes south may be the best deal.
Remster

Thanks for all your input folks....Yeah..I may just run to Arizona.....This is an itch that will have to be scratched soon....So what else do you guys do all winter?? Besides watch videos and wait...and wait...and wait....hehe...
Thanks again...
Ben

Hey Ben,

Not sure if I know you or not, but here's the deal. I am a PFF instructor at Eden North, and that's exactly what we do - PFF. We call it AFF simply to alleviate confusion as the dropzone does organize the Arizona Invasion boogie every winter and several people on that trip finish their PFF training in AZ. Only in AZ, PFF is called AFF, so that's what we call it.

Edmonton Skydive Centre is a fine place, they just don't have many PFF instructors. On a typical weekend, the two they do have are usually doing tandems.

There's not much difference between PFF and AFF. Basically AFF adds three levels that include teaching manouvers that we make coaches responsible for, rather than instructors. As for how many jumps are prerequisite for the PFF program, that is entirely at the discretion of the DZ. There are places that offer first jump PFF, although the success rates are low.

My advice - go to the Invasion. With our dollar kicking ass right now, you wont get a better bang for your buck anywhere else.

Canuck

Well I am sure that at this point you don't know me. But, alas I have been chatting with Lyle...He knows me as the Irishman, if you ask him about that he will know who you mean at least...I really want to go to the arizona blast...sounds like great fun...I am an Engineer and I am trying to fix my work schedule to allow for the time. Real real busy these days....Its funny how life goes...you either have time or money...but rarely both....Such is the way things are. Do you live in the city? Yell if you ever want to chat over a coffee or anything...I can always make time for that at least....But let me ask ya...As a rookie... am I going to be right out of my element, and feel quite out of place? you think?
Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben
I jump at Eden north, the people there are great as are the PFF instructors. I won't be going to the invasion this winter, but if you can go, I'm sure that you will have a great time with a good bunch of people. I took my PFF at Eden north and it was great, everyone makes you feel comfortable.

Have fun.:)

As a rookie... am I going to be right out of my element, and feel quite out of place? you think?

Here's my scoop. My first Invasion, I showed up with 60 jumps. I knew a handful of people. Being a rather shy sort, definately not an 'A' type personality, I felt kinda out of sorts. Second day, one of the other Invaders said 'lets jump!' He was awesome. 600+ jumps, cool guy, and he spent the next 3 days jumping with me. I learned sooooo much. So many cool people, and the vibe is awesome!

A thing to keep in mind is the scale. Eloy is big. So many people. Most people stay right on site for the whole thing. It's not the same as going to the dz for the day, not with so much going on. There is unending encouragement, training, and fun, and support. We eat, sleep, and jump, and meet people who become good friends even after the boogie is over.

Hope you can make it!:)

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein