m1372302

What is a Finist SMG like for Launching a 4way?

We are considering going on a trip to a DZ which may only have an finist SMG as their sole plane at the time. Most of our 4way so far has been out of caravans and otters. We've also done some out of a porter and found it to be a lot more awkward in terms of the dimensions of the door (low and pretty narrow) not just that it was on the opposite side from most jump planes. Ignoring the uncomfortable, if quick, ride to altitude.

What i want to know, is if anyone has experience in launching 4ways from a finist smg could they let me know if there are any serious draw backs for certain slots due to the size of the door in comparison to a caravan or an otter.

Thanks.

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you're heading for Skydive Spain...

I haven't done more than a couple of 4-way jumps out of it, but I'd say (as Tail) it's marginally less tricky than a Porter to exit from, but much less comfortable to ride to altitude :)

Pretty quick tho!

[edit: "compared to an Otter" then yeah, all of the slots are harder :P]

--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you are talking about the Finist from Skydive Spain / Hib... as I am not sure that they are all set up the same way...

It is pretty cramped on the ride to altitude and the door is not large (smaller than a caravan, maybe the same as an Islander) BUT... the long step set well below the bottom of the door makes a big difference as OC and Tail can get into good positions.

We had no problems in launching good 4-way from it. There are probably some issues though - I wouldn't want to try a D type launch (with point stalking) but if you are doing more basic random and block launches you should be ok.

If it is a serious 4-way training camp on the other hand, then I would be tempted to go to Empuria instead and use the otter...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.