t0n3z

Reality of a Skydiving career?

Good points about adjusting your expectations to match your income.

For example, last year I was the grumpy old bastard who criticized everyone on the DZ.

Over the winter, I deported my free-loading girl friend and my stress levels dropped dramatically.

Now I just chuckle when younger instructors grumble about the shortage of students on slow days, how hot it is on busy days, how sloppy the new packer is, etc.

>>if you say "i am doing the diploma course and I want to come and work for you for 3 months 'for free' and after that you can decide whether you want to employ me or not."

then you will be welcomed with open arms<<

Well who wouldn't?, it's just good business

Going for a career as a professional banjo player would be more practical.

Maybe a Lion Tamer.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Dont be fooled...At the end of every salary a skydiver has a chunk of month left..!! and the worst thing is...You dont have enough money to skydive the funjumps anymore...As you will be tossing droques or briefing students...Its a choice..but beware of the reason you sterted jumoping!!

I just wanted to add something to this thread. I am a tandem instructor, vidiot, static line JM and coach. I am making a living doing what I love right now, travelling and generally having a good time. The money is better than what I made at an entry level sales job. If you are single and clear of debt, you can do ok once you have a tandem rating and video capabilities. I won't do this forever, but damn it's fun at the moment.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I'm lower on the ladder than you (packer) but i'm doing ok for myself and looking forward to getting my jumps up and filming tandems when the time comes, then, who knows.

What gets me is people who say the job sux as much as any other.

Yep, there's bullshit and politics and skydivers aren't all the laid-back soul-flyers i was expecting but when i drive to the dz and pass people digging holes and filling em back in i'm grateful that i can work at a place where i can have fun at the same time.

Some people need to learn a bit of humility. We are all here very lucky.

I'm lower on the ladder than you (packer) but i'm doing ok for myself and looking forward to getting my jumps up and filming tandems when the time comes, then, who knows.

What gets me is people who say the job sux as much as any other.

Yep, there's bullshit and politics and skydivers aren't all the laid-back soul-flyers i was expecting but when i drive to the dz and pass people digging holes and filling em back in i'm grateful that i can work at a place where i can have fun at the same time.

Some people need to learn a bit of humility. We are all here very lucky.

Indeed we are.:)

Well stated Grasshopper! B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Going for a career as a professional banjo player would be more practical.

Maybe a Lion Tamer.

Rocket Surgeon.....yeah, that's the ticket! Maybe a "lert"? Not sure what it is but I see lotsa' signs, askin' folks to be one....they must be short-staphed so it oughta' pay decent.
"T'was ever thus."