kallend

Article on oxygen and altitude

Not a bad article at all. However, there will be some changes to the current altitudes and times that are allowable (by military standards) happening in the near future. During a meeting of the medical minds at Ft. Sam Houston late last year, the current standards were recognized as being dated and enough current information has been gathered to support a change. To the average skydiver the changes will probably happen and go unnoticed but to those who either fly or use supplemental O2 at work, they will see the altitudes and times move slightly to the right some.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

supplemental O2 at work, they will see the altitudes and times move slightly to the right some.

Clarification please? More strict, for the US military specifically?

In the old pre-oxygen days DC-3 pilots would just take their plane up higher to put any drunk combative passengers to sleep...

I've been to 25,000 with a welding oxygen system that some idiot set up. I was to get some video for an unamed tv show of the altimeter at 25g and then help open the door. Well my assistant also EMT on the load was passed out at 22g so I had to open the door myself. Luckily I had extensive NOX training and got the door open so the jump could proceed. I didn't jump but signaled the pilot to descend because I couldn't even figure out how to put my camera helmet on and rode the plane down. Greatest sound ever, a skyvan diving to earth, me with severe hypoxia. Pretty crazy what you'll do for a couple hundred bucks. Never completely passed out but lungs hurt as I recall. Oh how I miss the good old days!

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Good article overall. I am becoming more and more convinced that many skydivers are dealing with a significant degree of hypoxia even for "normal" jumps (i.e. the 12,500 AGL jumps at Lost Prairie.) I've gone to 26K with in-aircraft oxygen only, and that's the hairy edge - it doesn't take much at those altitudes to take your time of useful consciousness to under 1 minute, which means you're not going to get to a breathable altitude in time.

Good article but using the term Hypoxemia isn't quite correct.

10,000 feet is 522 torr not 199 as the author states.

Other than those two inaccuracies, it's a good article. Right on about O2 use at night, it definitely is a plus during any night flight, even good to use shooting an approach to an airport that has a low field elevation.

Good article overall. I am becoming more and more convinced that many skydivers are dealing with a significant degree of hypoxia even for "normal" jumps (i.e. the 12,500 AGL jumps at Lost Prairie.) I've gone to 26K with in-aircraft oxygen only, and that's the hairy edge - it doesn't take much at those altitudes to take your time of useful consciousness to under 1 minute, which means you're not going to get to a breathable altitude in time.

At the SOS event last week I think there were some who were impaired at 15k without supplemental oxygen.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The highest I've been was 16,500 with some PD test jumpers. We were all doing H&P's and they were on oxygen. I was supposed to get out at 15,000 we went a little higher before jump run started. When I stood to open the door I felt a little light headed. The jump went without incident. Still interesting.

-Michael

Clarification please? More strict, for the US military specifically?

The proposed changes aren't any more or less strict than the current ones. What could potentially change is altitudes that require prebreathing and time at a specific altitude for O2 use. If implemented, I think most who work in this environment would find the changes make their job easier and make more sense IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING