skydude2000

Motivation

Hey Guys,

Maybe I'm just venting, but I think it's still skydiving related, so here goes.

Has anyone else gotten so discouraged with the sport that they've seriously considered quitting? I never thought this would happen to me, but after 7 years of off & on jumping, I still can't get past my Solo.

Now, I'd like to think I'm relatively safe in the air. After all, I've been doing whatever I can to avoid the 'golf' or the 'lawn bowling' speech, and so far, I haven't had it. I know my lack of currency is a big part of it, and I have a medical condition that makes it a bit more difficult for me. And my instructors, bless em' all, have done their best to get me where I am, and convince me that I have a legitimate reason for my painful lack of progression.

But it's become very frustrating to me to see jumpers who've started since I have, whip through the progression ahead of me and even become instructors and coaches.

What can I do to beat this? Because I still loathe the idea of quitting.

Thanks.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Adam , you need to get up during the week when Derek isn't teaching class and after he's off work .... he will do the coach jumps with you ....
your like 5 jumps away from your A ... why quit now ??
Go balls deep buddy, get current . We have the Caravan now no excuses .....
If you want it you can have it ..
I'm heading up Friday afternoon and staying though till sun morning .....
Hope to see you up there
Blue ones Buddy ;)

Yep, I really thought of giving up after I scared myself half to death on jump 13.... loss of stability at deployment time... opened low. I chatted with lots of experienced jumpers and instructors. I practiced on the ground. I got the best coaching I could (Skydive University). I learned to apply "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast". I persisted. I got through it.

I have been a bit slow reaching all the usual milestones... My accuracy sucks so I didn't get my A-License until I had nearly 40 jumps, because of lousy accuracy I didn't get my B-license until about 100 jumps.

For ME learning to RELAX was essential. I remember exactly which moment the "RELAX in freefall" idea made sense to me. It was on my first NON-coached solo. I had no "dive plan" to hustle through, all I had to do was enjoy the jump. I suddenly understood what relaxing in freefall should feel like and how much it improved my freefall skills.

Good Luck, remember that the objective is to stay safe and have FUN. For some of us it is very easy to turn skydiving into something that very much resembles WORK. Keep it fun and safe!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Dude,
Don't quit. I have been chasing my "A" license since 1981-will get it in a couple of weeks.
Call Rob Laidlaw at Skydive University in Deland Florida. Nothing but magic. He's a fellow Canadian as well. His ability to solve challenges is legendary. Just plain good people with the passion and talent to instruct and mentor through any problems.
Peace
"You can't teach what you don't know and you can't lead where you won't go"

What can I do to beat this?

It's easy....just take into consideration that it's not a competition to get to some level 'first'.

Don't let outside influences dictate what you should be doing when...if you're having fun and you're safe, you pretty much are where you need to be. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You didn't mention your medical condition but I know how demanding skydiving is both physically and mentally and adding a medicial condition into the equation makes it even more challenging.

Going through AFF takes a lot of determination and perseverance (not to mention money) and if you don't have the overwhelmingly strong desire to fly your body or your canopy then you should persue a different sport where you do have that kind of desire.

I don't want to sound harsh but I know what's it's like to see other people in AFF pass you by and have to keep trying and trying to get over each and every obsticle! What kept me going through all that crap was the desire to fly my canopy! That is all I could think about and all I wanted to do!! I even tried to talk my instructors in just skipping the freefall, saving your life part and just teach me to exit stable pull and fly my canopy! No joke!

Which skydiving dicipline can't you wait to try?

I'd suggest the wind tunnel and working with the same instructor, these two things helped me TREMENDOUSLY. And of course, if you really truly want to be a skydiver, the most important factor is your determination to get through it! It's all worth it and soon you'll be having tons of fun with your friends!

My 2 cents for what ever it's worth.

Blue Skies
:)

"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

after 7 years of off & on jumping, I still can't get past my Solo.

Now, I'd like to think I'm relatively safe in the air.

Simple answer - You can keep plugging away as long as your instructors aren't seeing anything bad.

more difficult answer -

But 132 jumps over 7 years.....still on solo

you might consider quitting for a while until you can commit to this as a more regular activity

being current is very important to both your safety and the safety of others

you know what? I'll point you at the simple answer since I don't know anything more about you and your jumping career to date - you don't have to be a pro as long as you are safe and having a good time. There is room in the sport for fast advancers and competitors and instructors, but there is also room for those that don't go that way.

Don't worry about the others.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants