agent_lead

canadian skydivers..tandem skydive question please help

hey i have a friend in toronto who wants to make a tandem but for some reason she is under the impression that in order to make a tandem skydive there she needs to go thru an 8 hour course?

is this how it works in canada? 8 hours to do a tandem?

someone please confirm or deny this..

and if you can recommend any dz to goto in the toronto area that would also be awesome..

thanks
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

It's probably just confusion about a solo course (whether IAD, static line, or PFF) versus a tandem course.

Mind you some DZs may tell people to be ready to spend the whole day there; it isn't always as if a booking at 10 am means you have jumped by noon. Even for the solo courses, one has to distinguish between the time for the actual course vs. all the associated stuff -- registration, taking a test, waiting for one's load, gearing up, etc.

Places servicing Toronto are Parachute School of Toronto, Skydive Toronto, SWOOP, Niagara Skydive, and Skydive Burnaby. (And Grand Bend Sport Parachute Centre and Skydive Gananoque if driving more in the 3 hour range than 1-2 from Toronto.) Some are bigger, some are smaller, some have turbines, some don't, some are considered particularly strict with rules, but all are considered decent and safe places to go.

I'm not getting into the politics of which to go to as I've jumped at all of them...

go for the turbine....more altitude for the $..

other than that I have never jumped in southern ontario....
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

I won't be as polictically correct as Peter. The closest turbine DZ to Toronto is Parachute School of Toronto (PST) located in Baldwin - the gateway to Sutton. Best plane (Grand Caravan), pilot (Jason) and DZO (Adam) 45 minutes from downtown.....

Rob

I don't think it's politically incorrect to say go to Burnaby.

It takes a little longer, and I am a little biased as it is my home DZ.

However for a first time experience the scenery is unbeatable - being on the shore of lake Erie and I personally love the twin otter we have.

Burnaby also has the ability if necessarry to jump up to 5 tandems at a time - all with video so even on a busy day - we have the lift capacity.

Go to www.skydiveburnaby.com for pictures.

Enjoy