Airgump

Question for you '182 drivers that operate out ofhigher elevation fields.

Got a question for you all..... the field I've been jumping out of lately is around 1,000 ish feet above sea level, the average temp has been running around 100 to 104 degrees F, what kind of performance can a jumper expect from the A/C?

I'm starting to get a weird feeling about the plane(s) I've been riding in. What brings on this "bad" feeling is that my instructor that put me out of my first plane (SL) just can home from Iraq, and on his 2nd or 3rd load (my first for the day) was down right nervous until at least 3k! Later, I was coaching a student and only the two of us "big boys" (both around 240 out the door) was on the load to 7K and it was redlined gauges all the way and the plane sounded like it was over speeding here and there and the climb rate got down to 70 odd feet per minute at some points.

I admit, I've been a spoiled twotter baby (at least 500 jumps and a good number of the out of Freefall Express A/C) and don't know beans about the little ones. Could some of you all out there enlighten me about jumping these little beasties in the summer temps?

Blue Ones,
Gump

Got a question for you all..... the field I've been jumping out of lately is around 1,000 ish feet above sea level, the average temp has been running around 100 to 104 degrees F, what kind of performance can a jumper expect from the A/C?
... clip ...
Blue Ones,
Gump

From a stock C182 under those conditions?

Poor.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

If pressure altitude is 1000 feet and temperature
is 104 f ( 40 degrees C) the density altitude is about
4000 feet. This means the airplane thinks it's at
4000 feet and performs as such. Longer takeoff
run and slower climb.

If you have been spoiled by higher performance jump planes it will take some time to get use to a C-182.

Buy the pilot a beer and talk to him about the specifications of the C-182.

As long as the pilot knows what he's doing then there's no real reason to be nervous. As previously stated, when the DA is 4000 feet the plane isn't going to perform well. The pilot still needs to keep the guages in the proper areas and what this means is just long climbs to altitude.

The past 3 weeks at my dropzone these are the same conditions we're dealing with. The end result is... we're only taking 3 to altitude, it's taking 10 minutes longer to get there and burning an extra gallon of gas.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer