mauronappolini

Cluster Ballooning

there's a lot of information here:
http://www.clusterballoon.org/

would be so cool to do. I wonder how expensive would it be to use these balloons to get to altitude and then cutaway into freefall? (i.e. this guy from the website lands and reuses his balloons, so that it's probably a little cheaper)

and regarding tethering and using a rope to give you at least 3000ft, I bet the rope of that length would be incredibly heavy - the weight of the rope has to be supported by the lift of the balloons.

edit: looks like a single 725 lb spectra line is 0.68gram per foot, making it 2.04 kg (4.5lbs) for 3000ft rope. Better than I thought, actually. For a hop-n-pop altitude, at least. But is one spectra line strong enough to support all the lift of the balloons once the person is released?

It would probably work in the middle of nowhere. But according to the FAA there is no such place. And they have rather strict rules about tether lengths no matter if the floating thing is a certified aircraft, like a hot air balloon, or a floating Barney used to sell new automobiles.

So you could do it from very low altitudes but then you'd be better off with a BASE rig - And then there's that whole can of worms . . . ;)

NickD :)

Your height may be constrained by U.K air law.. I think that max line length would be 600meters (well that's what I believe that it is for paragliding winching).

Actually, I just found this ...

The air traffic control - CAA - regulations
As applied to kites and tethered hot-air balloons in the UK the flying regulations are remarkably simple.

We are generally limited by safety regulations to a height of 200 feet - 60 metres, actually 197 feet less a shade under 1.8 inches - but this is reduced to half that within the flight area of an airport.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

>> its a good thing that i live in a relatively rural area of the uk. is there any entanglement issues i should think about?
We've done a lot of low altitude (600-800 feet) tethered hot air balloon jumps and there is always some amount of wind at that altitude (or higher). This will push the balloon to the side so the tether is angled and not right below you. You do have to keep in mind it's there once under canopy, but that's not too hard . . .

NickD :)