triguyjoe

The Great Leap, Michel Fournier attempts jump from 130,000ft on Sunday

I don't care that he is french or anything like that but isn't anyone else worried that this guy should be stopped before he does something really bad right in front of everyone watching him on live TV?

It seems that the simplest things go wrong for him. Balloon problems and now a simple detachment left him on the ground. What if it was at 1,000 ft when the detachment problem occured? What if something really complicated went screwy like the oxygen delivery system? If you can not keep a balloon attached then what happens when you have something with multiple systems that depend on each other to sustain life?

Man, if you get up in the morning and you can not tie your shoes properly and you stumble on your ass then maybe you should not go into the hospital operating room and think you are still qualified to perform brain surgery :)

In 2002 and 2003, Michel Fournier engaged Cameron Balloons, the world's largest balloon manufacturer, to construct the helium balloon. Cameron Balloons built the Breitling Orbiter III, the first balloon to fly around the world, and Steve Fossett's Spirit of Freedom, the first solo around the world balloon flight.

The first two attempts also failed only because of balloon inflation problems. This could happen to anyone trying the same kind of mission, because helium balloons going to that altitude are somewhat rare. It's in the hands of the expert manufacturer.

This site has some nice detailed photos on exactly what went wrong during the previous attempts:

http://www.greatexcursions.com/blogs/explore_regina/

I don't know which company built the new balloon and the bolt release system for the 2008 attempt. It would be interesting to find out whether the team changed the balloon maker. According to the StratoCat high-altitude balloon history website:

"As a matter of fact, these kind of occurences are not uncommon in the scientific ballooning history, and even they had in the past an humorous side. Back in the middle 50's during a balloon miassion carried out at Holloman AFB, New Mexico, one of those "squibs" used for separate the balloon from the payload was fired by a radio signal coming from a commercial station transmiting in a nearby frequency of the balloon telecommand signal. In that moment, the station was broadcasting the "Tiger Rag" a song which for instance had a sound pattern similar to the precoded termination signal. The system missinterpreted the song sound by the code and fired at once the explosive bolt of the termination system."

In response to someone's earlier post regarding the ride to altitude: The poster stated that a partial pressure suit (vs full pressure) is risky primarily because of the 2-hour ascent to 130K ft. However, this capsule is pressurized. The suit would only be exposed to low pressure during freefall.

Latest news on the next attempt date from the team blog:

"Next window is located at the end of August, at the beginning of September, I hope to be ready. I thank you for deepest for my heart for your support. Cordially, Michel."

Is this supposed to actually happen, or did it get pushed back again?
"I'm not lost. I don't know where I'm going, but there's no sense in being late."
Mathew Quigley

I read that it was pushed back to 2009 because of funding, and then, as of about a month ago, his www.legrandsaut.org stopped responding. Maybe he totally ran out of money this time but deserves a lot of credit for trying, and for advancing knowledge in this area.

Sorry, he deserves nothing. He has spent alot of other peoples money and the last attempt was a big joke.

"OOOOOPs, sorry I lost that half million dollar balloon. Can I have some more money?"

Is it any wonder he is out of fucking money?