virgin-burner

what's the deal with packers in the US!?

if you're ever in europe, come and have a couple of jumps in switzerland. ask any jumper to do that for you. all you probably get is a puzzled look on their faces.. :D

no. If you ask me, I'll check you.

you're not swiss, you're a farkin' russian! :D:D:D

instead of making funny remarks, you'd better back me up, fellow countrymen. in the german and italian part of switzerland, nobody does a pincheck on others. and rigs (of sportjumpers) are packed by themselves..

You've got rigs that pack themselves. I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!

But seriously, resistance to pin checks baffles me. I never think twice about being asked or getting one. And it actually gives me warm fuzzies to see the least experienced people asking for one.

Is that a bit of hyperbole, or do folks in your area truly look down on such a practice (asking for a pincheck).
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

bit of a hyperbole, you get one if you ask for one, but its not something you do on a regular basis. somebody posted a part of that FAR or BSR or whatever that is, those checks you're expected to do yourself. wether thats bad or not, i'm not trying to judge, but there IS a difference obviously.

i might just come over some time and find out myself! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

not directed at you, but i'll never ever post a serious question again around here. if people dont know me enough as of yet, and that i like to put a little bit of irony and sarcasm into my posts.. they'll never learn its no sense turning every thread into a flamefest for some. :S

In other words, you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

bit of a hyperbole, you get one if you ask for one, but its not something you do on a regular basis. somebody posted a part of that FAR or BSR or whatever that is, those checks you're expected to do yourself. wether thats bad or not, i'm not trying to judge, but there IS a difference obviously.

i might just come over some time and find out myself! :)

I just posted that it is part of our training, something that we learn during aff, static line, or whatever method is used. It is in the USPA Skydiver Information Manual. I really couldn't tell you if it was a BSR or not.

I will note that I rarely ask for a pin check BUT that is because I jump a rig that most newer jumpers are not used to seeing. A Racer with a pullout. The pin is straight, not curved and that freaks some people out. Not to mention the reserve pins are on my back and no "window" for my kill line to be checked.

I check my gear before I put it on, after I put it on, when I am in the plane and just before I exit.

I will gladly give a pin check to anyone.

not directed at you, but i'll never ever post a serious question again around here. if people dont know me enough as of yet, and that i like to put a little bit of irony and sarcasm into my posts.. they'll never learn its no sense turning every thread into a flamefest for some. :S

In other words, you can dish it out, but you can't take it.

is that all you've got to add to the thread? what a contribution.. you're my heee-ro! :|
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

But seriously, resistance to pin checks baffles me. I never think twice about being asked or getting one.

I dunno about 'resistance' to pin checks but...personally I don't like having someone dicking around with my rig once I have it on.

I thoroughly check it prior to gearing up, once someone has done 'something' I can't see to my rig I get uncomfortable.

I'll GIVE a pin check to anyone-anytime, and yes I get a weird look when asked if I want one and decline, but it works for me.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~