Groundbound

[N] USPA membership

Scouting out my options to finally go skydiving and another question:

A couple of clubs nearby do not show up as Group Members of the USPA, but they do indicate elsewhere that they require membership in the USPA.

Would I be better off to stick to a club that is a GM as well as requires USPA membership of all jumpers?

Thanks.
A search did not reveal anything useful.
I apologize in advance to those who would have rather not have read this/these question/s.
I am indicating by [N] that I am a newcomer if that helps you avoid these questions. I have altered my signature line because the software will not allow me to indicate zero jumps, no license, no equipment etc.
I have also chosen a user name that indicates I am not a skygod.
Finally I can only hope I have chosen the right forum, I did look first!

Many people (and dropzone owners) don't believe that the USPA group member program provides any real benefit to dropzones, so they choose not to join. However, USPA individual members (ie skydivers) get insurance with their membership, in case they damage any property on the ground. So some non-group-member dropzones still require individuals to be members. The instructors at non-GM dropzones are probably always USPA rated instructors too.

So in other words, it's the same jumpers, same instructors, etc. USPA doesn't inspect or certify dropzones, so non-membership is not a sign of a bad DZ.

You could probably speak with the owners of any dropzone you're interested in and ask why they are not a group member.

My opinion: no difference.

Dave

A group member promises to follow all the USPA Basic Safety Requirements (BSR's). That doesn't mean they really do, but that they have at least made a promise to do so. Non USPA member DZ's are not necessarily bad, but I would consider it a general negative, and the DZ should be avoided unless the non-USPA membership is balanced by some other factor(s). Do ask the DZ why they are not a group member, and then take their answer with a small grain of salt.

Also, consider that USPA is the industry trade group, and through their government lobby effort they make it possible for all of us to skydive. Group members are supporting that effort with their official support through membership, and through their membership fees. Non group members are not participating in the process, or supporting the industry effort. I would choose to support those drop zones that are supporting the industry through USPA group membership. That's my personal opinion. Others will disagree and vent about politics.

The group member program is a hot button topic on this forum, and we can expect it to drag on for 80 posts or so. Listen briefly, then move on.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Hey where can I see the Basic Safety Requirement list?
Couldn't find it (except in the SIM which is never going to arrive apparently) on the USPA website.

Click on the link to download the complete SIM in either html or pdf format. The pdf comes up fast, and the BSR's are on page 6. See http://uspa.org/publications/manuals.htm. If you have a high speed connection you shouldn't need to wait for the hard copy.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Ensure your instructors are USPA rated. Group membership includes promising to follow basic safety requirements, but that promise is redundent if the instructors have current instructional ratings (they're committed to the same rules).

I've jumped at plenty of group member and non-group member dropzones and haven't noticed any particular differences in safety relevant to that particular membership.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

To repeat what Dave said , "Ensure your instructors are USPA rated."

Choosing a drop zone just because it's a Group Member isn't always going to make you "safer" IMO. [:/]

Choose a DZ that has great Instructors , get references, and also ask about the student gear they use.

Do not be affraid to ask Instructors to show you their membership card that verifies they are rated Instructors in the progression you choose to take also. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Ed's a perfect example - he's at a DZ that is not a USPA member and has the best student gear (based on personal opinion only) I rented, out of six dropzones. I ended up buying the same container and main later. And the price was great too - $35/jump instead of 39-45.

Ed's a perfect example - he's at a DZ that is not a USPA member and has the best student gear (based on personal opinion only) I rented, out of six dropzones. I ended up buying the same container and main later. And the price was great too - $35/jump instead of 39-45.

True.
Though the non group member DZ I jump at now, which is 45mins from my home, and after working for a group member DZ that is 12mins from my home for several years in the past, I teach my private students under the USPA guidelines as a USPA rated Instructor.
And you are also correct by saying the non group members student gear is far superior.

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

My experience is pretty limited, so you could probably throw a [N] before my reponse as well, but I'll share my thoughts.

I live about 1 hour away from two different dropzones. One of them is a USPA member dropzone, and the other is not. I've been to both, and I've only jumped at the non-member dropzone.

Why? I talked to a bunch of jumpers and instructors at both dropzones, and from both the hard-facts about the places and my personal impressions of each, the non-USPA dropzone was a safer, more responsible place to be. I got the impression from the USPA group member dropzone that he was in it for the publicity, whereas the non-USPA DZO was happy to give me the reasons why he was unwilling to join (mostly monetary).

At "safety day" at the USPA member, they proudly showed video of some very unsafe freefly maneuvres (I heard the statement, "Look at how fast he was coming towards me! I'm surprised I was able to get out of his way!"), and we basically sat around and watched other videos while the DZO tried to sell rigging services. At the non-USPA dropzone's safety day, they covered things the S&TA had learned at the PIA conference, reviewed each of the fatalities of the past year and what had gone wrong, reviewed a number of issues that had been discovered with gear, and went over emergency procedures.

Basically, the non-USPA dropzone was far more professional and organized. Clearly, this doesn't apply to every situation and my experience is limited, but I certainly wouldn't judge a dropzone based on it's USPA membership.