Brutus

Doubts about G3 cookie roller mount

I have currebtly 120 jumps and now I am allowed at my local DZ to use a camera on the top of my g3 cookie helmet.

I have doubts about installing the cookie g3 roller mount (which would mean drilling my almost brand new helmet) or just using the sticker provided with the GoPro camera

Have any of you tried the cookie roller mount?

And if you have would you strongly recomend this instead of the sticker or is doesn´t worth the worry?

I used to have the adhesive mount supplied with the GoPro on my G3, which worked fine. Unfortunately the camera mounting rules in Norway were changed so that you need a snag-free camera mount if your helmet doesn't have a cutaway system.

Both these mounts are nearly snag-free.

The square one mount does not require drilling but i think its a big drawback that you cant easily remove it for non-camera jumps and windtunnel.

I ended up with the roller mount, even though I had to drill 2 holes in my helmet I think the fact that its removable makes it worth it. ( I also prefer a bolted on aluminum mount over glued on plastic one :P )

Of course you could just use the GoPro adhesive mount with no snag protection, but I don't think you could deliberately design a device more efficient at hanging on to suspension lines / slider draw strings.

I use this mount, really like it, although i think the roller mount is better because you can't accidently change the angle of the camera. Still, even with the square top mount you have to drill 3 holes which i did, no problem at all, still not the nicest solution.

I have ~100 jumps with the roller mount and it is awesome.
Easy to adjust (but rock solid), easy to remove camera when you do not need it and most importantly it really does minimizes the snag hazard. As for drilling the helmet there is nothing to worry about. With all kinds of unavoidable scratches and discolorations pretty soon you will not even remember that you drilled holes in it :ph34r:.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Stephen Hawking

FataMorgana

I have ~100 jumps with the roller mount and it is awesome.
Easy to adjust (but rock solid), easy to remove camera when you do not need it and most importantly it really does minimizes the snag hazard. As for drilling the helmet there is nothing to worry about. With all kinds of unavoidable scratches and discolorations pretty soon you will not even remember that you drilled holes in it :ph34r:.

+1. I have also used the Cookie roller mount for ~100 jumps. I echo everything FataMorgana said -- it's easy to adjust when you want but will not move on its own when you don't (even when you hit your camera on the door... doh!). When you remove it to fly in the tunnel, you leave on the baseplate (which covers the holes you drilled). This works perfectly fine, including for flying head-down on the net (just put your gaffer's tape right over the top of the base plate). I couldn't be happier with it.

I finally did it. I drilled it quite easily and placed the baseplate.
The screws fit was more difficult to me although I got it done.

I will use it this weekend and hope it will work fine

Thank you for the advice and replies

P.D.- Forgive my bad written English (do not think my spoken is better)