panzwami

running jokes?

Another poster brought up something that I've always thought was strange. When I was just getting into skydiving, I remember on several occasions people that I otherwise respected at my DZ talking about others' landing problems as though they were some sort of joke. One in particular concerned another jumper from my school and the problems that he had when he bought a canopy that was too small for him. At the time I didn't know anything about wingloading or canopy size so I didn't think anything of it, but thinking back now I'm rather surprised that they would have had so many laughs at his inability to land a canopy he shouldn't have been flying at all.

Anyone have similar experiences?

People often don’t feel able to criticize in the forceful way they perhaps ought, so they resort to humor. I suspect the message gets though nonetheless, sometimes at least.

At the end of the day it is for those in charge to mandate canopy choice (if anyone). All peers can do is chastise and advise. Anything above chastising a friend can end the friendship or simply render all advise as useless for coming from a nay-sayer. Taking the piss can convey the same message without ruining the relationship or ostracizing the audience. People often take that choice, after all it is easier.

I’ve had to tell a good friend I think he’s going to kill himself if he’s not careful. I told him straight out and explained that I had to so that I could look his mother in the eye at the funeral. He agreed and thanked me for my concern.

He’s vary aware of his radical choice of canopy but has not upsized. I can’t make him. I continue to reinforce the message (and remind him to be careful) with light hearted piss taking.

Maybe that’s what you experienced? Maybe it wasn’t. It’s difficult to tell what kind of joking it was without having been there.

Edit to add - I think this kind of running joke only works to reinforce where there is already the kernal of knowledge that they're in over their head in the first place. It's not education.