hook2001321

New and looking to get into the sport

Hello everyone, I'm new around here and looking to get into skydiving in the near future. I have been looking around reading alot of info from the boards and trying to see how the sport is. I currently live in Purvis Mississippi and have a dropzone about 10 miles from my home in Lumberton at Gold Coast. Since it was so close it has really peaked my intrest a little more to get going. I currently have a big problem before i can start skydiving. I am fairly short at 5'9" and weigh 280 lbs. I have had a friend already talk with Gold Coast and i will have to get down to 240 lbs before i can make a tandom jump their so i have some work cut out for me. I have also looked into skydive spaceland in Houston and i would be able to go their at my current wieght of 280 but i figure its better if i loose some wieght before i start, since that is their max weight. This should be a pretty good motivator for me since im really and wanting to get into the sport. How does being Heavy really afect your skills of being a skydiver and staying active in the sport? Also are their any good alternatives or other places i should look into before i make my decision? Thanks for all the help and looking forward to meeting people and learning about all the different DZ. B|

Not really qualified to answer most of the questions you have, but go to spaceland B| great place to start with knowledgeable staff and good planes. That's where I started and I loved it.

What other dropzones that you have trained at or are familiar with training methods of are you comparing Spaceland to ?

OP : Searching for "big boy" "large jumper" "heavy jumper" 280lbs" and similar using the SEARCH will give you links to plenty of older discussions that are nearly identical to your situation.

here's on of them : http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=569196;

Welcome! You may want to reach out to Skydive the Farm, outside of Atlanta. They may be able to accommodate you.
Skydiving is an amazingly fun sport, and using that as a motivator to lose weight is one way to go! I lost 185 lbs in order to skydive (as well as lice longer, not destroy my knees, etc) and I am SO thrilled that I am now able to skydive, walk around, up a few flights of stairs, etc.

Go for it, you will be hooked on your first jump! If I can offer any assistance or advice please feel free to send me a PM.
Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
--- The Dude ---

My weight recommendation for getting started is 260# - if one is over 6'0." I'd suggest you look more at around 225-235# goal. Mostly because, if you're 5'9", the more weight you lose and the closer your height to weight ratio is, the less chance you have getting an injury. Please don't think me being mean here, but unless you have some certificate as a power-lifting champion, your proportion of height to weight is going to be a cause for concern for most DZ's (did anyone tell Spaceland you're 5'9")

Having said that, the Tandem Instructors at Skydive Spaceland do a considerable number of tandems so they have a greater number of Tandem Instructors that are smaller so they can go a greater student weight without violating the tandem reserve's TSO max weight should you decide to go that route and I hope they give you a thumbs up.

Look, I'm one of the strongest proponents for getting Anvil Brothers in the air, but, in most cases, height and weight are a lot closer to being proportionate. Should you decide to lose 20-30 pounds and do it close to home, the folks at Gold Coast are a wonderful lot that are great mentors and whom you will quickly call "friend." Finally, I truly hope you are willing to lose the weight and take your first skydive. There is no greater motivator for losing weight and keeping it off than falling in love with skydiving, Once that adrenaline monkey bites you on the ass, my guess is you'll be 200# within 8 to 9 months.

Just my $.02
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Our sport is a very tough one in which to be overweight. Your chance of injury goes way up when you're not in shape. If you want to skydive, and enjoy it, lose the weight, get into shape. You save a lot of money and avoid a lot of frustration. After you get your A license, you'll find it easier to get on loads if you don't fall like a homesick anvil. Our sport can be a powerful motivator for staying in shape. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the info. Yea i actually did mention that i was 5'9" and 280 lbs when i sent the email to skydive space land in houston. I have been reading alot of info on hear and have realized several things that you have already pointed out and that is facturing in to all my decisions on when i will decide to make my first jump. I will definetly wait until i get down to atleast 250 before considering doing my first tandom. After that point i will decide on if i will stay in the sport and continue to loose weight for it want be a problem down the road with being able to fly with others at the DZ. Thanks for the info and looking forward to learning more in the future.

I know, Brutha, I got some great anvil friends up here in Seattle. But you know the score on learning to skydive when your surface area to weight ration is . . . sub optimal. I've seen way to many injuries to out-of-shape people. Of course, I've seen plenty of injuries to fit folks, too. :S

None, but I sure felt secure getting in the plane, not saying other dropzones don't have good training programs I was just suggesting the one that i went through was awesome thats all :)
Not sure why you are wanting to get in a debate about this? lol but I was simply stating that that's where I did mine and I liked it a lot and actually learned.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the holocaust"