mxaexm

static line two years ago..tandem next week....

Two years ago on 7/7/07...I did my first static line jump...what a great experience that was....(the only reason that I didn't get my license right after that was that I was still working on my pilot license and needed money for it). Now two years later I'm planning on doing a tandem jump. Why tandem?...at some point in my life (next summer or so) I'm thinking of getting licensed (AFF) so this might be the "only" opportunity for me to do a tandem jump....

blue sky and stay safe!!!

I'm thinking of getting licensed (AFF) so this might be the "only" opportunity for me to do a tandem jump....

Trainee tamdem masters always need someone to volunteer as a passenger during their training jumps. I pay my own slot for those, just because they're so much fun!

My best was doing a drogueless tandem just so the TM could know what it felt like - close to 200mph belly down is AWESOME!!!!!

Edit: I hope you enjoy the tandem and keep on jumping! It's just another step in enjoying flight :)
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

Trainee tamdem masters always need someone to volunteer as a passenger during their training jumps. I pay my own slot for those, just because they're so much fun!:)

Yeah, but IIRC here in the US, you have to be a C license or above to be a passenger on a TM training jump.

;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Now THAT's the bit I don't get. I was allowed to jump without a helmet/frap on a B-license in California, but not in SA.

In SA a B-license needs at least a frap hat, but they're allowed to go on TM training jumps.

Doesn't matter - the OP will, if he stays in the sport, have more than enough chances to do another tandem or 2 :)

D.S # 125

Now THAT's the bit I don't get. I was allowed to jump without a helmet/frap on a B-license in California, but not in SA.

In SA a B-license needs at least a frap hat, but they're allowed to go on TM training jumps.

Apples and oranges. I'm presuming the SA requirement stems from the same (more-) paternalistic attitude that prevails in Europe, compared to the US: mandate certain safety gear for the jumper's own protection, without leaving the choice up to him.

The logic behind the C license for meat-bomb on TM training jumps has an extra element: if the TM trainee has difficulty during the jump, the C-licensed meat-bomb will presumably have accumulated the flying skills to help out on the jump, if necessary.

The logic behind the C license for meat-bomb on TM training jumps has an extra element: if the TM trainee has difficulty during the jump, the C-licensed meat-bomb will presumably have accumulated the flying skills to help out on the jump, if necessary.

When I did my first 'meatbomb' jump the main requirement, as explained to me back then, was a minimum of 150 jumps. All of us helping in the TM training were expected to simulate possible student reactions that could result in trouble, but be able to help the TM to regain stability / deploy the drogue / main / reserve if necessary.

Requirements and considerations aside - my intention was to inform the OP that he'd still be able to enjoy tandems later on in his skydiving career.
D.S # 125

Apples and oranges. I'm presuming the SA requirement stems from the same (more-) paternalistic attitude that prevails in Europe, compared to the US: mandate certain safety gear for the jumper's own protection, without leaving the choice up to him.

You make it sound as if that's a bad thing :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

You make it sound as if that's a bad thing :)

Not really; I'm acknowledging it as a matter of local "culture": how much to allow, or disallow, an individual jumper to make gear choices that may affect his/her own safety, even if those choices do not affect the safety of others. "Good or bad" is a matter of each person's own opinion.