Hooknswoop

AAD's & Personal Acceptable Risk Thresholds

You said you won't pull as low now that you have an AAD. What emergency procedure did you change? If you have a malfunction, what would you do differently?

Before I installed an AAD, if I found myself in freefall at say, 1500 ft, which is a bona fide emegency, considering I always plan to deploy by 3.5K, I would have deployed my main, and prepared to cutaway a mal, because two chances are better than one. With an AAD, I go straight to silver if I find myself in freefall at that altitude, because the prospect of two canopies out is not appealing. Thus, my emergency procedures changed when I started jumping with an AAD.

For Great Deals on Gear

You said you won't pull as low now that you have an AAD. What emergency procedure did you change? If you have a malfunction, what would you do differently?

Before I installed an AAD, if I found myself in freefall at say, 1500 ft, which is a bona fide emegency, considering I always plan to deploy by 3.5K, I would have deployed my main, and prepared to cutaway a mal, because two chances are better than one. With an AAD, I go straight to silver if I find myself in freefall at that altitude, because the prospect of two canopies out is not appealing. Thus, my emergency procedures changed when I started jumping with an AAD.

How often do you find yourself in freefall at 1500ft with all your handles still in place?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

>My first cutaway yesterday led me to think that it's a Good Job we
>don't encourage that attitude about reserves, or no one would
> practice their emergency procedures.

If you think you will need a reserve for a cartain skydive, you might want to re-evaluate doing that skydive - at least until you fix whatever's wrong with your main.

>My first cutaway yesterday led me to think that it's a Good Job we
>don't encourage that attitude about reserves, or no one would
> practice their emergency procedures.

If you think you will need a reserve for a cartain skydive, you might want to re-evaluate doing that skydive - at least until you fix whatever's wrong with your main.

It's being relined as I write this. However, since it went 1500+ jumps without having to be cutaway, some 5 times longer than the average you quoted last week, I doubt much is really wrong with it.

How often do you find yourself in freefall at 1500ft with all your handles still in place?

So far, never, but that does not change the fact that I have planned procedures already in place in the event that it does happen. I've also never had a line over, a PC in tow, or an aircraft emergency, but I have plans in place now, so that I don't have to come up with them on the spot.

For Great Deals on Gear

So far, never, but that does not change the fact that I have planned procedures already in place in the event that it does happen. I've also never had a line over, a PC in tow, or an aircraft emergency, but I have plans in place now, so that I don't have to come up with them on the spot.

If you find yourself in freefall at 1500ft with no handles yet pulled, you have already violated your planned procedures, unless you had planned to violate the BSRs.

>I doubt much is really wrong with it.

Well, as you have a lot of experience with skydiving equipment, and you thought it should be relined, surely there is something at least potentially wrong with it. I think that is wiser than continuing to jump it and relying on your reserve to save you if there's a problem.

If you find yourself in freefall at 1500ft with no handles yet pulled, you have already violated your planned procedures

Absolutely true. But, the doesn't change the fact that in such an emergency situation, it is best to already have a plan in place, regardless of whether or not I screwed up to get myself in that situation to begin with. Remember, it is usually a chain of events that is fatal. Stopping that chain can save your life.

For Great Deals on Gear

>I doubt much is really wrong with it.

Well, as you have a lot of experience with skydiving equipment, and you thought it should be relined, surely there is something at least potentially wrong with it. I think that is wiser than continuing to jump it and relying on your reserve to save you if there's a problem.

I have my main inspected by the rigger every time my rig goes in for a reserve repack. Last time (34 jumps ago) he advised I'd probably need a reline within the next 100 jumps, so this seemed like an obvious opportunity to have it done.