tkhayes

Strong Lawsuit & 'Defense Fund'

I think that's the real source of the problem: our cultural reluctance to take personal responsibility for our actions.

I take that back. They do not have the right to sue. The passenger signed a waiver forfeiting the right to sue if something like this should happen.

The incident that caused her death was an accident. It sucks, but she was made aware of the risks before she jumped and signed a waiver releasing anyone and everyone of all legal liability. And from legally idealistic standpoint that should be that.

I find it somewhat amusing that you espouse people taking personal responsibility for their own actions in one breath, then say that someone who acts negligently should be absolved of responsibility because of a piece of paper. If the TI screwed up, shouldn't he be held accountable and take responsibility for his mistake? Or should a blanket "waiver of liability" protect him from that responsibility?