marianneb

Listfranc fracture

Finally I'm back in the sky!! Was out for 6 months because of a really bad, bad foot fracture. Learnt my lesson when it comes to out landings!:( I suffered a "listfranc" foot fracture (don't think my spelling is cool:) What I'd like to know is, how common is this type of fracture amongst skydivers? Apparently only ONE in 55 000 foot fractures a year results in this kind of fracture. Apparently it's very common amongst dancers, ballet dancers, athletes, and football players. This type of foot fracture involves the total collapse of the bridge of your foot.

Please describe your out landing.

Found this web page that refers to parachute jumping.
http://www.gentili.net/footanklefracture1.asp?ID=149
A canadian at z-hills recently broke several metatarsals landing down wind on an out.

I broke my little toe bone landing in the landing area
on bridge day. I remembered how hard the packed gravel felt as I touched down on both feet. I'm sure I delayed a milisecond before doing my PLF, plus a little late on the flare.[:/]
I asked my vet friend to x-ray my foot to see the
extent of the injury. Little toe, clean inplace crack.
He decided I did not have to be put down.:D.

1st load, strong topdraft, (I was the wind indicator;) landed in the bushes and my midfoot hit a hard object. I broke 7 bones in my foot and the bridge collapsed. The orthopedic surgeon diagnosed this fracture as a listfranc. It took 6 months and a LOT of pain to heal. Not to mention the frustration not being able to skydive! [:/]

It is pretty uncommon in skydiving. Names after Napoleon's battlefield surgeon. It was common in battle on horseback when a rider would fall with the foot still caught in the stirrups dislocating or breaking the bones between the forefoot and midfoot. Directional forces involved in skydiving lead to more broken ankles or heels (talus/calcaneous amongst the worst).

Did you come in toes pointed down and catch something?

Glad your ok and back skydiving.:)I always try to be in the spotting position if I can on
the first load at my dropzone. I will research the winds aloft forcast, ground winds, talk to the pilot about jump run, and check ground speed and track on the ride to altitude. Of course I understand in the days of turbines and big drop zones there is a lot of pressure to GO on the green light and your
not always in the spotting position.:(