silent_pumpkin

Opinions on my future rig colors?

I thought about using white for the trim, but plan to keep the container for a while and not sure about the dirty/yellowing factor down the road...

Get silver/gray instead. That way the dirt factor won't be much of an issue as with white. Silver blends in more. Also I would get a black harness. Makes it easier to match for repairs and such in the future if needed.

135 main, 143 reserve

Good thing your not a dude.. I'm sure a bunch of a-holes here would have found/dug for reasons to give you a hard time about your canopy. ;)

Also, not being a dude makes your color selections much more exceptional. It's really win/win for you. ;)
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Good thing your not a dude.. I'm sure a bunch of a-holes here would have found/dug for reasons to give you a hard time about your canopy

Both of those canopies suck for a chick with 30-some jumps as much as they suck for a guy. I didn't say anything because it looks like she jumps at Lodi, and she'll have far more people at the DZ telling her it's a great idea than people on the internet telling otherwise.

Eveything seems like a great idea until you fly your canopy into a telephone pole.

And we have a taker...I had a feeling someone just had to say something. As I've stated before, my instructors want me to progress faster (I'm not willing to go that fast) and I should be near 70 jumps when this container is completed (yeah, yeah, yeah I know whoopdee-doo). Sorry for having a petite body. I wanted opinions about my future container, not the canopies - I have humans to ask, ones that don't agree in extremely fast progression in downsizing (yes, even at Lodi) and I do not want to go off topic. Thank you.

I dig the purple and black - though I, too, would have a black harness! It's YOUR rig - and all that matters is that YOU are happy with it...

Congrats on getting something you want! :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

Thanks, that seems to be a very consistent reply. I think I'm going to take a week or so figure it out before placing the order.

The purple harness will be fine.
Note the only people saying go black are dudes. I have seen quite a few purple harnesses and they hold up well.
My harness is royal plbue with a purple and yellow container and 5 years later it's still in tip top shape:)

Go with what makes you happy, and try not to worry about what others (who are NOT paying thousdands of $$$$) think.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Both of those canopies suck for a chick with 30-some jumps as much as they suck for a guy. I didn't say anything because it looks like she jumps at Lodi, and she'll have far more people at the DZ telling her it's a great idea than people on the internet telling otherwise.

Eveything seems like a great idea until you fly your canopy into a telephone pole.

haha, only Dave steps up and says something about the canopies..

Others are just going up her arse trying to cyber wet their dicks lmao..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

haha, only Dave steps up and says something about the canopies..

Others are just going up her arse trying to cyber wet their dicks lmao..

What's interesting is that if you read her response to me, she states exactly what I said, that enough people at her home DZ are telling her it's OK, and on top of that she's planning ahead for jumps and skills she thinks she'll have when her rig shows up.

Speaking getting your dick wet (not cyber dick) she even mentions that her instructor wants her to progress even faster than she is.

Of course she mentions her petite body, which is always nice to hear about, but will do nothing to dampen the quick response of short lined canopies for a newbie. None of this will help her when she's jumping a 7-cell for her first time, and landing off in the vineyard with it's rows of sharp metal stakes.

In the end, you know what they say, it's better to fit in and make people you just met happy then to be safe!

I stated my size because if I was a heavier person, I wouldn't have to justify a downsize as much since the canopy would be larger than sub-150. According to Germain's chart I would be about 20 jumps low, IF I went w/ a 135 IF I get the container by then. Who the hell knows how I'll feel about a 135 then, maybe I'll stay with a 150 - try out the differences.

Regardless of what others might want me to do, if I don't feel right then I won't. I'm not looking to have a greater than 1:1 wingloading, buy a stiletto, start jumping camera/wingsuit, or try out some of those hook turns.

I wasn't going to respond to you at first, but then it occurred to me that you may be a victim of your own ignorance. It's highly unlikely that you;ve been to several dropzones, and been exposed to a viariety of opinions, and as such, you'd be inclined to take what you're being told as the 'standard'.

In case you were wondering, there are a variety of reasons that the generally accpeted wingloadings for new skydivers don't apply to lighter jumpers. These can be researched via the search function on this website.

Just to put the advice you've been given into perspective, there is a well know phenomenon in skydiving where new, attractive females typically recieve more attention than other new jumpers. This attention is sometimes misguided and results in the new girl being offered advice and invited on jumps that might not be appropriate for them, but in an attempt to impress them, they are offered these things anyway.

To go one step further, are you aware that Lodi has a reputation of being a little 'loose' with certain standards?

Not too long ago they sent up a young lady on a student jump with no radio. Ground to air radios have become the standard at DZ everywhere, and students are spoken to under canopy until they prove they have the ability to safely fly the canopy themselves (typically 6 to 8 jumps). The girl in question was sent up withtout a radio, ended up in a bad situation, and proceeded to fly herself into a telephone pole and split her face open. It wasn't a bad spot, or a windy day, she just made a typical student error that could have easily been corrected with a ground to air radio. My impression is that they still do not provide radios to their studetns.

A couple of years ago. a young male jumper had pruchased a canopy that was beyond his abilities. Actaully, the size of the canopy was very reasonable, but the type of canopy was too aggresive for his expereince level. Other DZs had actually turned him away based on the canopy in his rig. They did not want him jumping that canopy to the point that they refused to sell him a lift ticket. He dorve to Lodi, they put him right on the plane, and he made a low turn on landing and was killed on impact.

For your sake, maybe shop around a little for other opinions on gear. Maybe visit another DZ, and see if you can locate a female instructor to discuss your gear choices with. This is the only way to ensure you're going to get an unbiased opinion.

It's not a great situation, but being an attractive female in the sport, this is something to be aware of. You will not always recieve advice that is in your best interest, and sometimes it's tough to know what to believe. Make friends with some female instructors or highly experienced female jumpers, they will be your best ally in these matters.

I am not naive nor ignorant of anything you mentioned. I knew about all of that prior to going to Lodi to do my AFF. Yes, I do know how to use a search function on a website.

A radio may have helped that student land, or a brain - sorry, but that landing pattern wasn't that hard for me w/o a radio and she shouldn't have been there (landing near the main landing area) as a student. That dz post drew up a LOT of responses as to whether radios even work half the time IIRC.

As for the stiletto purchase, that was a bad call - so that's why I am a little more protective/conservative than others around me.

I do understand about the wl difference for lighter jumpers, PD has some great info on their site. This is why I stated that I do not know how it's going to go. I plan to spend more time with my current size and then, when I feel ready and willing, think about downsizing. I hear what others say, but again I am not letting anyone push me farther than I feel I should be going.

Not that it makes a difference in light of the male brain, but I really don't get that type of attention due to my 'attractiveness' since not many would consider me that. I'm usually at the dz w/ my husband, that kinda stops random guys performing the 'cute girl DZ mating dance.'

I do appreciate the concern, honestly.

Umm, thanks - but not a dude here - nor do I believe Tetra is one either. :S

I just thought black for hiding dirt and ease of matching in case of repair but that's just MY opinion... as I believed the title of this thread was seeking. :)

"One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar" ~ Helen Keller

I have to say I think Dave is right. A 135 at 50 jumps is a bit much, no matter how light you are. There is a world of difference between a 150 size and a 135, mainly due to the shorter line length making the 135 much more responsive and aggressive, regardless of canopy type.

I'm about the same size as you. My first canopy was a 170 for about 75 jumps. Then I got a 150 at about 100 jumps and didn't downsize to a 135 until a couple hundred jumps after that. You really should stay at least on a 150 until you can land it downwind in a light wind and stand it up consistently.