Mockingbird

I flunked AFF Level 2 jump... Has this happened to others?

HA!!! One of my old jumpin' buddies did 12....12....static line jumps! He still learned how to skydive.

Thats nothing!
one guy here did 32 yes thirty two static line jumps without geting cleared for freefall he gave up static line and did AFF

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Flunked 2 and 4. Can't really call my AFF a relaxing experience by any measure. It wasn't until I had 30+ jumps that I finally started getting comfortable with the thought of stepping off the plane. Do I get anxious even now ... ALMOST EVERYTIME ... . Do I have the aptitude for Skydiving ... ABSOLUTELY !

Just out of curiosity, Billy, what if this should happen to me again?!!! Do you think it would indicate that I just don't have the aptitude for this sport?[:/]

On AFF 2a the dive went well but slow execution and we came out of forward movement at 6000 ft (my DZ'z pull altutude) - Reserve side gave me the finger ;) (pull signal). OK so I was expecting 6500 (lock on) and saw 6000 and had a momentary "Holy Cow" reaction - reverted to muscle memory which means I went back 35 years reached to pull with both hands, went head down - woke up and did it right (for a BOC). Just before I got to the handle main side pulled for me. We were above 5000, but on a long spot. As it was the camera flyer landed out the AFFI's just made it back over the fence, I at .75 on a Navigator spent time over the holding area and landed on target.

On AFF2b I was so into my head about AFF2a that I rushed, never got stable and didn't complete the dive flow.

On AFF2c got it right.

I also repeated AFF5 twice.

Graduated AFF almost half way to the 25 required for an "A". Probably take longer than that to get it.

Now there's a morale here somewhere - everyone can make up their own. I graduated with time enough left for a congratulatory high five at 8000 ft. Every solo has been comfortable and relaxed with altitude awareness and time to see the things I never saw during AFF. The door floater exit even works well.

When you are in training - any training - you only fail if you fail to learn. Everything else is like life - wake up the next morning and you're a winner.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

I'm finally now relaxed enough to yawn of boredom at 9000 waiting for the jump plane to ascend.

But I always still get a bit ANXIOUS just before the door opens... ("RELAX!", my instructor says! *TAKES A DEEP BREATH*)

For a funny reason, I'm more relaxed outside the plane on the Cessna strut than staring out of an open plane door. Anyone experience this?

Pull time is now more relaxed. I think I'm doing well for freefall and canopy control as a student, but pull was my main problem - being relaxed enough below 5000ft. ;) I'm a little shy of playing chicken with the ball called Earth.

I had to laugh that you were the only one who landed on target on your first level 2 jump. Doing the LANDING PATTERN correctly is going to prove to be my greatest challenge I think. I just don't "get" where I'm supposed to be distance-wise (horizontal distance) from the dz when I'm 1000' AGL. Once I can figure that out, it seems easy enough to determine where to start the other two legs, or so I hope.

*BIG ANNOUNCEMENT* I'M THE ONE WHO STARTED THIS THREAD, AND I WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT YESTERDAY I DID LEVEL 3 AND *PASSED*!!!! So, next week I will attempt Level 4. I can hardly wait!!!
Blue skies & happy jitters ~Mockingbird
"Why is there something rather than nothing?"

i think i went wrong cos of two things:
one was the fact that i wanted to pass so much it wasnt funny so in the plane i was repeating again and again 'dont fuck up, dont fuck up' and putting lots of pressure on my self to pass,which was wrong to do.
secondly it was the dirt dives. the truth is that if you do a shit dive on the ground you WILL do a shit dive in the air.
so my advice would be to get that dirtdive perfect and no wimpy dick shit, Make a positive arch till your back hurts. But in the plane and the air relax and be in good spirits, enjoy the scenery etc. smiling as i left the plane worked wonders for me.

Good luck buddy

Tom, Tom Tom, Tommy, Tom Love

What were you doing wrong in Level 4? (That's the one I'll be doing next week, weather permitting.)

:$Where to begin?

I wasn't relaxed and in an arch. An AFFI advised me to arch on the ground and pivot on my hips, then de-arch and try. De-arching caused me to potato chip alot (I'm a bigger person 6ft 190lbs). So a good arch was problem #1.

Problem #2 was the torso movement for the turn. rather than pivoting at on a center line (which I did OK on the ground) I was "shrugging" my shoulders. It helped me to think about "Lifting" the opposite shoulder as well as "dropping" the shoulder into the turn. Words don't express this well, so when your AFFI reviews this with you, just think about what your "whole" torso is doing, not just part of it.

Congrats on AFF 3. I'm betting your arch is much better than mine and you'll be relaxed and have fun with your AFFI.

Ask your AFFI to review the accuracy trick with you. If there are pilots that hang at the DZ talk to them about flying patterns. I'm a private pilot and that has helped in understanding the pattern and position.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.

congrats on passing your level 3:)

as far as the turns go
your instructors will be able to answer this question better than anyone on the net.;)

when i did my level 4 in such a rush i did 360's instead of 90's.:o

dont get in a hurry you have alot more time than you think;)

Not only will you look better, feel better, and fuck better; you'll have significantly increased your life expectancy. --Douva

Any advice?

The best advice you are gonna get *ever* on this forum is this bit from me right now:

Don't get advice here...Ask your instructor.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Any advice?

The best advice you are gonna get *ever* on this forum is this bit from me right now:

Don't get advice here...Ask your instructor.

Yes, I realize that and appreciate your reminder. But it's a weekday and my instructors are God-knows-where, and at this stage of learning, skydiving is on my mind 24/7. I realize that the technical questions can & should only be answered by my instructor. But isn't this forum good for finding out things from others' mistakes?

I truly DO understand & appreciate your concern. Thank you.

congrats on passing your level 3:)

as far as the turns go
your instructors will be able to answer this question better than anyone on the net.;)

when i did my level 4 in such a rush i did 360's instead of 90's.:o

dont get in a hurry you have alot more time than you think;)

Hey, Brian. Have I met you yet at the dz?

360s--- yeah, I know--- how do you know when you've turned 90º? I guess it's intuitive. I just hope I can remain stable throughout the jump. Wish it were tomorrow... (I've got it bad)

I know this thread started out about failing a AFF level but it has turned into a few of us students going into detail of how a level went so this is where I am putting this.

It was amazing I was even able to jump, considering recent events. The lord definitly does provide. Anyways since I started at tandem progression but did AFF1 where TP is not recognized I was a bit confused on what level I was gonna be doing. From log book and my previous videos my jump master modified according to my skills. It was a combination of a tandem progression 5 and Aff 3ish. It was a one instructor harness hold (butt strap ...ooh la la) 360 left, COA 360 right COA forward movement till 7000 then hover until wave off and pull at 5500, Horrible exit, I actually said no and thank god was not heard and went anyways (door fear and I am not fond of King Airs) we jumped at 15000 and i had approx 65 second delay. Did everything but the right turn, I just flat out forgot it, but the JM put me into the turn for at least the feeling of it. I had good AA and excellant canopy control although I did start my pattern at 1200ish and not 1000 , and for the first time DRUM ROLL PLEASE Stood my landing up approx 10 meters from my instructor. I always knew Id one day stand a landing up, but was shocked that today was it , through the excitement some how as the canopy was on the ground I was staring and said some funny thing that had everyone rolling but isnt approaite to put on here, she was a great canopy... Instructor was pleased, I remembered the jump during debrief and walked off feeling great and confident. Oh yea jumped at Skydive Space center, WHICH IS AWESOME< will be writing their review tomorrow, when my hands stop shaking

Heres some stills I pulled from the DVD, qualitys not great but oh well

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lisa_marie_abdrep/album?.dir=/b3b8
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

LisaMarie, This is awesome--- Way to go! It sounds like your jump was similar to what my dz does in AFF level 5. In level 4 we just do 90º turns, and in level 5 we do 360ºs. I'm really happy for you; I know how excited you are, 'cos I get that way too!

I was going to do my Level 4 jump today in San Marcos, but I couldn't because they were short on instructors for some reason and I finally gave up after waiting for several hours. To tell ya' the truth, I was disappointed, but terribly, because my favorite instructor wasn't there anyway and I really wanted to jump with him; also, the winds were VERY calm (0-3 mph) and i didn't want to do a fast landing 'cos I have a sort of a fragile knee... I've done PLFs and haven't hurt my knee, but I just didn't want to take a chance. Ya' know? Also, it was horribly hot down over here today--- was it hot in Houston, too? I think it got up to 98º and the humidity was high so it felt over 100º.

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear how your jump went--- Congratulations! Be sure to report back after the next one, ok? Tomorrow???? ;)

Thank you, Although I had horrible door fear "in my video you see me say no right before I grip the door, and exit was bad and I was potato chipping, the fact that my instructor thought it was great made me very happy. Alot of people tell me I am to hard on myself, but damn that jump was good , last night I literally keep twitching, it even woke me up. Nope not today but next weekend I will be heading back to beat that king air, it will not get the better of me.
It was in Florida and yes it was hot, winds were 7 to 10 mph, it was fine though dirt diving but once suited up it was horribly humid and blah feeling. Good luck on your next level

Nope, not yet. Yesterday was just like Saturday, so I didn't even bother to go just to sit around waiting all day. I had a lot on my "to do" list anyway. Maybe next weekend. (I'm a bit discouraged about it.)

Dont be , you will do great and if you dont pass but walk away then you still did great. You have the passion in your training that I do, I have the confidence in you. Now you get that same confidence and you will do fine. I heard that it is customary that if the winds and weather suck your still required to go to the DZ to bitch about said weather...

Hey guys, I was just sitting here reading your posts back and forth about your levels and what you're doing wrong or right. From someone who just graduated and got my A, let me tell you -- DON'T SWEAT IT!! I cannot believe how much pressure I was putting on myself for each level. I was constantly worried about how I'd do on the next one, and I would beat myself when it didn't go just right. Its not whats important!! You jumped, you lived, you learned something!

For the record, I did level 4 twice, level 8 twice, and level 10 twice. But the good news is because of my repeats, I already had my 25 jumps for my A by the time I graduated! ;) And I also got lots of practice on my tracking and it really improved from my 1st one to my last one! B|

In my AFP program, we have the people who crank through it and rock every level. Then we have the people who do one jump a month and have no urgent need to graduate any time soon. I always wanted to be the person rocking, but realized I am somewhere inbetween. Who cares! I got through it and had a damn good time in the process. :)
Really, try not to stress about it. Putting all the pressure on yourself just makes it worse. And I do agree with the poster that said make your dirt dives count! Practice doing it right! And visualize it, too! Never imagine yourself screwing up, but don't kill yourself if you do.

Remember, we all got into this sport to HAVE FUN. Don't forget that!! :)
Good luck! I can't wait to hear about it when you graduate! B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Awesome post, Jeth. Thanks.

I don't see myself graduating very soon! It's getting really, really hot down here, and I just can't function in extreme heat. That will narrow down the days I go to the dz!! Let's see, it will have to be below 90º, at least PARTLY cloudy (not clear--- too much sun), and somewhat windy--- say, 5-14 mph. I'm not asking for too much, am I? The conditions I'm describing sound more like the Northwest than TEXAS. Maybe I should move. (Don't I wish.) :P

HeHe... well you will be happy you're in Texas come January when you can still jump and all of us in the north are buried in snow! ;)

But don't worry about it if you gotta take it slower now. There are people at my dz who have been in the program over a year and just jump when they can. As long as you're still enjoying it!! :)
Good luck! Have fun!! B|
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site