Wilcroft

30 Day window?

had my 1st tandem this weekend and I'm hooked...

Inquired with the drop zone about licensing...

They said all 10 jumps and groundschool have to be completed within a 30 day window per the USPA rules.

I can't find anything on the USPA site which references the window to get all the jumps in.

Did find a few timeframes to keep "current" but nothing about 10 jumps, groundschool within 30 days.

Is this true or a marketing gimmick?

Is this true or a marketing gimmick?

Marketing gimmick. A less cynical way of expressing it would be "dropzone policy" (which they're within their rights to set, of course). However, to say it's a USPA rule isn't true.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Either you misunderstood (I hope) or they're trying to sell you something.

As a student, you can only advance if less than 30 days have elapsed since your last jump -- if more than that, you either have to repeat the last jump, or go even farther back (depending on interaction with instructor). But that's for each jump, not for all 10. You can look at the USPA website, under section 5 of the Skydiver's Information Manual (SIM). Section 5.2 talks about currency training.

The DZ may have that requirement, but it's not USPA's.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

They said all 10 jumps and groundschool have to be completed within a 30 day window per the USPA rules.

Negative. I think you may have understood them incorrectly. No more than 30 days should pass between each jump. And if it does, you just have to go through some refresher training, which will probably cost you a few extra dollars. Staying current is important for proper performance and safety.

Below is the e-mail thread I've had with dropzone...

I've removed any names and dropzone information...

You'll see at the bottom of the thread he say's "each jump must be within 30 days of each other or you will need to repeat the last level per the USPA", which I have found in the rules...

but then his latest response is what's confusing me which is right below this "+" page break. Where he says "all jumps within 30 days"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You need to keep all jumps within 30 days of each other, per the USPA. You need 2 tandems, a 6 hour ground school, which has no jumps in it. After that you can do the AFP program which has 7 levels, some people need to repeat a level, pending you don't that is 7 jumps, for a total of 10 jumps when you include the tandems.

skydive@skydive

On Thu, May 6, 2010 8:31 am, I wrote:
> Unfortunately, I don't think I'd be able to swing May 17th...
>
> Just so I understand this, I'll need 2 more tandems. Since my 1st
> jump was on 5/1, I need to have my next tandem within the 30 day
> window, then I need another within another 30 day window. As long as
> each jump is within 30 days of the last, I keep it moving forward and am credited for the jump.
>
> I need to stretch the expense over a period of time.
>
> During the 6 hour ground school are there jumps included during the course...
> i.e. 1-2 hours of ground school, then do a jump, another "ground
> lesson", another jump etc. etc. or is it literally 6 hours of
> education, then fit in the 7 one-on-one jumps as my schedule allows.
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Skydive [mailto:skydive@skydives]
> Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:47 AM
> To: Wilcroft
> Subject: RE: Certification Inquiry
>
> Weekdays are awesome for students, we are not as busy at all. Next
> ground school is Monday the 17th at 10am! We start at 10 all weekdays.
> Once you finish the AFP jumps it is only $24 per jump, and if you rent
> gear that is 32 per jump or 64 for an all day.
>
>
>
>
> Skydive
> skydive@skydive
>
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 4:23 pm, I wrote:
>> Thanks for the information... have to look at the calendar...
>>
>> Do you do weekdays? I had to wait a long time due to all the tandem
>> jumpers on Saturday, most going with video and pic packages...
>>
>> Wondering if weekdays can expedite the process. Maybe get 2 more
>> tandems on same day, then the ground school session.
>>
>> Someone mentioned after you're certified a jump only cost $25.00. Is
>> that true? Is that with your own parachute?
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Skydive[mailto:skydive@skydive]
>> Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 2:59 PM
>> To: Wilcroft
>> Subject: Re: Certification Inquiry
>>
>>
>>
>> It will require 2 more tandems, a 6 hour ground school, and 7 levels
>> of AFP which are one on one jumps with an instructor but with a
>> student parachute that you will wear. The cost is between $1700 and
>> $1900 and each jump must be within 30 days of each other or you will
>> need to repeat the last level per the USPA regulations. When do you
>> want to come out and do your second tandem, we can have you sit down
>> with an instructor and go over the entire package.
>>
>>
>>
>> Skydive
>> skydive@skydive
>>
>> On Mon, May 3, 2010 12:46 pm, I wrote:
>>> Joined you this past weekend for my 1st tandem jump... what a great
>>> experience and I'm hooked...
>>>
>>> Inquiring about the Accelerated Freefall Course.. The schedule,
>>> number of jumps, cost... etc. etc... to be able to experience solo
>>> freefall.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>

I do think you're misunderstanding here -- they're saying "within 30 days of each other" and not "within 30 days of the first."

On the other hand, the more you spread out your jumps, the worse it is in some ways, because even at 29 days there's stuff you'll forget that you'd've remembered at 14 days.

Can you save up your money so that you can make them a little closer to each other? The jumps get less expensive with time, so hopefully this is a short-term problem.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Ditto on the "less time between jumps" thing. If you only jump once a month it is very unlikely you will pass all levels at first try, so with repeats this can get (way) more expensive than if you can save up and try to do the levels closer together. If money is that tight, why not do staticline instead? That would save you a lot of money plus it isn't so bad (nor so expensive) if you go a few weeks between SL jumps as it is for AFF.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

OK... Thanks, I'll double check with the dropzone..

To clarify

Don't bother. The idea is that you pre-pay for a package and get a dicsount price. That price only covers doing each jump one time. Going more than 30 days is an automatic repeat of the previous jump, and will represent an increased cost for the complete program.

I didn't read all the details, but you can also 'not pass' a level by not completing the required manuvers for that jump. In that case, you would have to repeat that level until you can complete all the required manuvers on that jump, and those jumps would also represent an additional cost on top of the package.

It's really to your benefit in every way to make the student jumps in a timely fashion. Once you get started, plan on spending at least one day each weekend and the DZ, and try to make a couple jumps each time. Also, some DZs are open during the week (and some by appointment only), but if you have a free evening, making a jump after work is always a good way to break up the work week.