npgraphicdesign

People that don't jump often.

This thread has a familiar ring. I envy those who have the time to make skydiving a high priority. I have a demanding and time-consuming job, a wife, two college-aged kids, a house and four cars to maintain, two cats and a dog. There is nothing I'd like more than to spend more time at the DZ.

Unfortunately, the winds, rain and my schedule have stood in the way for the past month. That's the way it goes sometimes. Besides, when I started AFF last October, I explained to my instructors that because of my "other life" it might take me a bit longer than average to complete training, and so far, it hasn't been a problem for anybody (me or them).

As far as not feeling welcomed as a newcomer, or being razzed because of low jump numbers and frequency, I have experienced the exact polar opposite. My instructors have been nothing but supportive, approachable and always willing to answer questions; and the experienced regulars at my home DZ have all been very nice (especially when I show up with beer and pizza). Sounds to me like you need to find a home DZ with the snob-knob turned down a bit.

So far, surprisingly (yeah, right), the only place I've been belittled and berated is on this website. :S

Joe

simplify

my first year I logged 11 jumps which was hard to do due to money issues - second year I logged 3 prior to breaking my leg which sidelined me till my 3rd year which gave me a year to accumulated a nice amount of credit on the dz books by packing student rigs which I used to jump my ass off - I was lucky with the dropzone I started at I guess, when I showed up infrequently I got none of that sarcasm you have experienced at yours.

heh, I get the humorous sarcasm now... due to not spending every day at the dz, If I show up every once in a while I get hugs/ high fives and the inevitable.... "are ya here for the first jump course or a tandem? which always elicits a smart assed comment from me :-D

you have your priorities - they have theirs dont let it bother you, you have jumped out of the airplane and saved your own life - you are a real skydiver, your just not a real current one.

life gets in the way of fun sometimes - some people just dont seem to understand that.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

by definition, passion is

any violent or intense emotion that prevents reflection

Like many things in life, it depends on where you look.

Sparky

merriam-webster: a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object, or concept c : sexual desire d : an object of desire or deep interest

Yes, you could look it up in different places and maybe find a variance, but the fact is if some of the definitions include the phrase 'prevents reflection', then the connotation is that 'passion' means an attraction or urge to something that goes 'beyond reason'.

I stand by what I said. Although I never thought it would turn into a big friggin' deal.

He's the one that was complaining. I simply pointed out that while it was no one's business, what he was being told was essentially correct.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Due to money/time constraints, and trying to find a job in my field, I can't spend too much money on jumping, which equates to one or two weekends (one day each weekend) per month, in a best case scenario. While there are some GREAT people at my home DZ, there are a few regulars and even instructors who are somewhat snobby. I've heard comments like 'oh you're not a real skydiver, I barely even see you here' or 'wait, you actually have a license now?'.

I know that there's a lot of humor and sarcasm and wiseassedness that comes along with skydivers and skydiving culture, and I can definitely take it and give it. But, some people's comments are borderline offensive. Especially if they come from an instructor who, if you ask a serious skydiving question, would (or should) answer it seriously. But oft times, I get such a condescending answer, that I regret having asked the question in the first place.

Anyone else experience that? For the record, I have 65 jumps, and received my license in January of last year. If I could jump every other weekend, or even every weekend once or twice...I would. :S

I had the same problems through college. I just started cranking out a few jumps again, but for a good chunk of time since my first jump, I couldn't really jump. What did I do? I hung out at the dz when I could and looked forward to the day where I would have my degree, have a grown up job, get shiny new gear, and be able to jump a little more often. All the waiting paid off because I have all of that, but I work a really weird rotating 3 shift schedule as a weather person, so being a weekend warrior is definitely out of the question at this time, but the point being is I never let it go. If you're having troubles right now then just set sight on the day when you'll be able to come back and crank out a bunch of jumps.

I look back on the few jumps I made in college and it honestly wasn't worth it for me to just come back for a refresher every now and then. It probably isn't the safest either to come back multiple times as uncurrent as I was. Sometimes good things come to those who wait, so just stick it out and the jumps you get to do when you get back into it will mean that much more!

Good luck! :)
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Sounds like your DZ has a bunch of assholes.

They're really not. A lot of them have been nothing but great to me and everyone else, students or seasoned jumpers alike. There are only 2-3 people that I'm really referring to, but they are the ones that are instructors...which is what bugs me more.

I mean comeon...i've sent one of them several emails asking for advice about equipment, and never heard back. When I saw that instructor in person and asked if they received my emails, the response was (verbatim): "Oh I just ignored the emails." :S

When I saw that instructor in person and asked if they received my emails, the response was (verbatim): "Oh I just ignored the emails." :S

What's his name? :P Maybe a little public humiliation will shape 'em up. Hehe.

It could be a him or a her. ;) And no names will be given. :P

Drat! Smart cookie...

:D

When I saw that instructor in person and asked if they received my emails, the response was (verbatim): "Oh I just ignored the emails." :S

What's his name? :P Maybe a little public humiliation will shape 'em up. Hehe.

It could be a him or a her. ;) And no names will be given. :P

Drat! Smart cookie...

:D

Yes. I'm smarter then the average skydiver. :P

It's funny how easy it is to make really nice, caring instructors sound like complete assholes. The people you're talking about spend more of their free time helping new skydivers with whatever they need than you could imagine. Those jumpers "give back" by jumping, learning, and progressing.

You make every excuse not to do those things. Seriously, I've never seen anyone else that is new and excited about jumping take 2-3 months off immediately after getting licensed because it might be too cold (even though you never even tried a winter jump to find out). While it may not be true at all, it would seem to some observers that you like the idea of being a skydiver more than actually skydiving.

Now that instructor may have been a little harsh... but what have you done for him/her? Where would the advice the instructor offers go? What would be the value of spending time helping? Instructors simply don't want to spend a lot of time working with people that are just going to disappear from the dropzone for months at a time.

Yeah, I'm being harsh too. We'd love for you to come out more often. We have all kinds of events designed for jumpers like you. If you can't be out every weekend, maybe you could plan to attend some educational events.

Dave

I guess some people see being passionate as a very binary distinction. Either you are or you are not passionate. No in between.

Aaah, see, that's not actually true (at least in my case). The OP actually said he 'is passionate as much as', and I pointed out he can't be. I didn't say he's not passionate, just not as passionate.

And it really doesn't matter to me either. I will recommend to people to come out as much as they can, but I realize there are reasons why it isn't easy or possible in some cases. All a matter of what you're willing to give up.

Seems to me it's nobody else's business how often the OP comes out, but maybe if he's decided this is how much he'll be out then he should grow a thicker skin.

It's pretty simple. He's the one complaining he can't come out enuf. So he's not as passionate as the ones that are out all the time, giving up careers, giving up lifestyles, giving up families, sometimes....

Doesn't make him a bad person, and I never said he was.

Passion is a subjective experience. He might not be as "fanatical" about jumping as others perhaps, but who is to say one mans passion doesn't burn as bright as anothers? It is sometimes said unrequited passion tends to burn the brightest of all. Passion doesn't have to equal obsession.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

It's funny how easy it is to make really nice, caring instructors sound like complete assholes. The people you're talking about spend more of their free time helping new skydivers with whatever they need than you could imagine. Those jumpers "give back" by jumping, learning, and progressing.

You make every excuse not to do those things. Seriously, I've never seen anyone else that is new and excited about jumping take 2-3 months off immediately after getting licensed because it might be too cold (even though you never even tried a winter jump to find out). While it may not be true at all, it would seem to some observers that you like the idea of being a skydiver more than actually skydiving.

Now that instructor may have been a little harsh... but what have you done for him/her? Where would the advice the instructor offers go? What would be the value of spending time helping? Instructors simply don't want to spend a lot of time working with people that are just going to disappear from the dropzone for months at a time.

Yeah, I'm being harsh too. We'd love for you to come out more often. We have all kinds of events designed for jumpers like you. If you can't be out every weekend, maybe you could plan to attend some educational events.

Dave

(Psst! npgraphicdesign! See, this is what you get for airing your dirty laundry on dz.com. lol.)

Damnit, guess it's too late to delete my post and let this thread die, huh? :P

And Nikita, we still haven't gotten over the fact that you are not a hot woman like your name suggests! At least shave the beard! :)
Oh and one more thing. It took me 5 years to reach 80 jumps. I know what slow progression is all about. When you're finally able to jump as much as you want (as if such a thing exists), it's worth the wait!

Dave

Due to money/time constraints, and trying to find a job in my field, I can't spend too much money on jumping, which equates to one or two weekends (one day each weekend) per month, in a best case scenario. While there are some GREAT people at my home DZ, there are a few regulars and even instructors who are somewhat snobby. I've heard comments like 'oh you're not a real skydiver, I barely even see you here' or 'wait, you actually have a license now?'.

I know that there's a lot of humor and sarcasm and wiseassedness that comes along with skydivers and skydiving culture, and I can definitely take it and give it. But, some people's comments are borderline offensive. Especially if they come from an instructor who, if you ask a serious skydiving question, would (or should) answer it seriously. But oft times, I get such a condescending answer, that I regret having asked the question in the first place.

Anyone else experience that? For the record, I have 65 jumps, and received my license in January of last year. If I could jump every other weekend, or even every weekend once or twice...I would. :S

At the end of the day, who cares what people mutter? If you are happy with your skydiving progression an the balance it has in your life, then problem solved. If it doesn't really bother you, then don't react to it... Semi or full bully personalities don't invest where they don't get the feedback/response they are looking for.

It's skydiving, not a numbers race. Have a good time, fuck the peanut gallery.

~Gav
Life doesn't need reasons, just participants.

D.S.#21

Dave

Dave I'm not putting down those people, and I know they're great instructors. But some of the comments I've gotten from those people really have discouraged me. Even if they were jokes...

I'd love to come out more as well, and it will happen eventually.

And Nikita, we still haven't gotten over the fact that you are not a hot woman like your name suggests! At least shave the beard! :)
Oh and one more thing. It took me 5 years to reach 80 jumps. I know what slow progression is all about. When you're finally able to jump as much as you want (as if such a thing exists), it's worth the wait!

Dave

I will NOT shave the beard..never!!! ;)

So if it took you 5 years to reach 80 jumps...stop picking on me! :ph34r::DB|

Why the hell would you want to be called a skydiver,
I'm at the DZ most weekends and i skydiver a fair amount, but i'm not a skydiver, it's an activity not WHO you are.

AND why do you care what they think.
Live your life as you see fit, given your circumstances. Fuck all the rest. Those who matter, don’t care.... yadda yadda yada.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dave

Your name is Nikita? Rawr. :P

Dave

Your name is Nikita? Rawr. :P

Yes it is. :P

And you're in Irvine?? I"m planning to move to the OC/Irvine/La areas at the end of summer. Great..now there's at least ONE person in California who won't jump with me. :ph34r::P:D

And you're in Irvine?? I"m planning to move to the OC/Irvine/La areas at the end of summer. Great..now there's at least ONE person in California who won't jump with me.

Oh lord, I'm gonna pay for that comment, aren't I? Tell ya what. If you come to Elsinore and manage to figure out who I am, I'll jump with you. Just don't funnel the exit, okay?

Edited to add: Why are you moving here? Haven't you heard, there's no jobs here either. ;)

And you're in Irvine?? I"m planning to move to the OC/Irvine/La areas at the end of summer. Great..now there's at least ONE person in California who won't jump with me.

Oh lord, I'm gonna pay for that comment, aren't I? Tell ya what. If you come to Elsinore and manage to figure out who I am, I'll jump with you. Just don't funnel the exit, okay?

Edited to add: Why are you moving here? Haven't you heard, there's no jobs here either. ;)

Pay? Please...you haven't even produced a down payment yet :P

And moving there for multiple reasons. It's almost 99% set...just searching for a job.