riverslime

holding your straps

Hey,
Before my first ever jump this past weekend, my tandem instructor told me that I'd have to hold on to my harness the whole time we were dropping. I wasn't about to question her 'cause I had no desire to die (or take her with me) but am curious as to why she'd suggest that and didn't think to ask her after the jump.

Why would it be unsafe to spread your arms out? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but I told the employees at the office that I was on medication for seizures (but seizure-free for three years). Alternatively, could I have seemed so scared that she thought I'd reflexively do something that could endanger us?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

there is one possiblility I can think of right off. If this is the case then there are other better ways of handling this, but sometimes we have to do what we have to do.

If you are small, and your Instructor was small, and if you had a not so small person shooting video, you may have been asked to keep your arms in to help reduce drag and keep up the fall rate for the videographer.

The only other times I have seen this, was in case of previous shoulder injuries.

I don't think they're worried about you spreading your arms out. But if you freak out and instinctively try to grab onto something, better yo be your harness than the hands or arms of the person who needs to save both of your lives. If you have seizures, this could be even more of a concern, which I'm guessing is why she wanted your hands on the harness for the whole jump.

But I could be just speculating :)

PULL!! or DIE!!