stclaire2003

Downsizing question: I have 65 jumps

I jump a spectre 210. I am 160 pounds undressed. I have 65 jumps and land about 90% of them on my feet. The other 10% isusually on no wind days and I may slide in softly or dip to a knee. Never been hurt at all. The 210 is HUGE and hard to pack.
I jumped a 190 once and it was fine but it was a good wind day also.

I was just given a spectre 170. Its the same canopy but much smaller. Can anyone here tell me if that is way too steep of a downsize at one time and if you think my weight ratio vs my experience dictates I should jump a 190 for awhile.

Thanks.

Figuring exit weight of 185:

190 puts you at .97 WL
170 pust you at 1.08 WL

Read you SIM
Have you done everything on the downsizing lists (Germain or Billvon's)?
Ask your instructors or ST&A.

Asking here is pointless. Nobody here has seen you fly.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I jump a spectre 210. I am 160 pounds undressed. I have 65 jumps and land about 90% of them on my feet. The other 10% isusually on no wind days and I may slide in softly or dip to a knee. Never been hurt at all. The 210 is HUGE and hard to pack.
I jumped a 190 once and it was fine but it was a good wind day also.

I was just given a spectre 170. Its the same canopy but much smaller. Can anyone here tell me if that is way too steep of a downsize at one time and if you think my weight ratio vs my experience dictates I should jump a 190 for awhile.

Thanks.

Expect people here to advise you to take it in steps, or at least that is the advise you should get. A 170 should be about right for you. Just how long you should pause at a 190 is the question. Don't hurry it.

Do you already have a rig for the 170? Is it the same you're using for the 210?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks. I agree that no one here has seen me fly. Im looking for a general school of thought from the forum more then anything. As a diligent student, I like to get a variety of opinions. At my dropzones I get 100 different opinions, and they HAVE seen me fly.

Yes, I have Germains book The canopy and his pilot and have taken that to heart as well.

Yes, I was given the 170 and according to the proshop I can use it in my current Mirage G4. It is however the lowest I can go without going to a smaller rig.

Im not necessaily in a hurry to downsize. I just have a really nice canopy for free and if I dont really need to buy a 190 then that would be awesome.

Im not necessaily in a hurry to downsize. I just have a really nice canopy for free and if I dont really need to buy a 190 then that would be awesome.

Demo or borrow a 190 for a few weekends and put a ton of jumps on it in that time, until you're comfortable and can handle the things on the downsizing checklist.

Just an idea. Good luck :)