skyflower_bloom

canopy control- prior aviation, other aeronautical activty knowledge/experience helpful? something to pursue?

Why open at 8K when you can open at 14K instead? Thats almost twice the flying time (depending on what you do of course).
I try and do a 14K hop-n-pop at least twice a month in the summer (often one a week).

I just did that yesterday, and let me tell you... it was friggin' cold up there! After a couple minutes, my fingers started getting a little numb and I started thinking that maybe I should've pulled at 9 or 10k instead.

It was an awesome experience though, and I plan on doing many more of them. The view was spectacular and I had no reservations about testing some of the limits of my canopy from that altitude. I think I agree with you, they're a great idea.

Well, it is ~30 degrees colder at altitude.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Why open at 8K when you can open at 14K instead? Thats almost twice the flying time (depending on what you do of course).
I try and do a 14K hop-n-pop at least twice a month in the summer (often one a week).

I have doubts of the value of dumping at such heights for the purpose of canopy drills (of course fine if you just want to enjoy the views).

I try to do a canopy course most years and most people on the courses struggle to finish all the exercises (designed to fly the canopy to it's limits) when we do hop and pops from 5-6k, the reason being that it can be very, very tiring.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

I just did that yesterday, and let me tell you... it was friggin' cold up there! After a couple minutes, my fingers started getting a little numb and I started thinking that maybe I should've pulled at 9 or 10k instead.

Quite simply: dress for success. If you're making a colder-weather jump, dress (and glove) for a colder-weather jump. Yeah, it's cold at 13K. If you plan to hang around up there for awhile, dress for it.

Cross-country?

I did an 11 mile x-country a few years back. The leg straps got very uncomfortable after a while, and the arms got tired too. Cool to see a 737 fly by below!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.