CHRCNF

Close to Licensure

...So, what's next?

Obviously I'll still have the support of my instructors who have helped me out more than I can put into words...

But, what happens next?

Kind of an open ended question, I just want to see how it worked out for all of you.

Thanks for the stories/guidance!

CHRCNF

Buy some gear (instructor guidance and assitance highly reccomended).

Look into the various disciplines, RW, freeflying, CRW, canopy piloting, accuracy, etc. and see what appeals to you. Ask around your DZ to see who's into what you're interested in, and ask them how to get started. If DZ.com has a forum for that discipline, ask in there for tips on where to begin or where to seek type-specific training.

Maybe just go to the DZ and jump? Have fun and make some friends? Spend another small fortune on skydiving?

Personally I would strongly recommend building a better foundation on your belly before starting other disciplines. It's not uncommon for those that start into freeflying that early, for instance, to not have belly skills they may want later. When we do hybrids, more than once, I've had the freefly LO ask me if I can hold onto one of his guys during exit as they didn't have the belly skills to get to the formation.

Just a thought. And BTW, I think freeflying and other avenues are awesome, I just think you are better off to work on your belly first for a bit. All of your basic skills, including tracking, docking, etc., will need more work.

Also, stick to the smaller formations. Get your SCR for a treat sometime if someone highly experienced can put together 7 other very experienced skydivers, after he or she has jumped with you on something smaller and has seen your track and how you fly. But you'll learn a lot more doing the 4 ways and smaller for a bit.

It's an exciting time and the skydiving world will open up to you...but you also have to be smart and safe. Always ask your old instructors about stuff, be sure you don't get in over your head.

This mother hen stuff comes from being an AFF instructor and organizer for years...;)

cc

EVERYTHING ELSE IS NEXT!!!

Just to give you my two cents... I'm at 42 jumps at this point, and am still saving for gear. That should only take another 5 years. :P

I just wandered around the drop zone asking who wanted to spend a jump on a rookie and all sorts of people started to speak up. It was actually pretty sweet, I've done a lot of 4 ways and have gotten into FS a little.

I totally agree that staying on your belly is important. I figured by 100 jumps or so I might get a freefly coach to teach me to sit and do some transitions... but just keeping up with some of the guys on their bellies is a bit of a challenge. Way fun though!

It is true too that there are some cool exits and things to try that are posted on YouTube. Tube exits and Mr. Bills are wicked fun!

ALSO! Start to pay really close attention to what people are doing under canopy. I've picked up a ton of pointers from people and have made some mistakes that have been really important lessons.

Have fun!

...And I'm not gonna not get Randy Jackson's autograph...
Did we just become best friends?

D.S. #1000000

The world is your oyster!

BUT - I strongly recommend attending a professional canopy piloting course. After all, it's the canopy ride that delivers you safely to earth (or not if you fuck up).

Getting canopy coaching early in your career will give you a great foundation for safe flying in the years to come as well as giving you the skills to get back from long spots and perform safe off-field landings if you can't.

Canopy coaching is not just for aspiring swoopers.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA