BrianSGermain

Safety First with Brian Germain: Q&A on wingloading and canopy type

Hey Brian,

I have a canopy related question ,and I thing that you are the right person to be asked.
I'm trying to understand the relation between the shape of the canopy and the WL. I mean,at which WL you have to change the shape of the canopy for better performance(square or semi elliptical to elliptical etc.) I see a lot of jumpers jumping ellipticals at WL less than 1:1.
What I hear from experienced jumpers is that at WL below 1,5-1,6:1 you have to stay on semi ellipticals. WL between 1,6:1 and 2:1 for ellipticals and above 2:1-crossbraced. Or am I missing something?!

Thanks a lot for you time and Please,keep those "dealing with the fear" videos coming:)

Regards,
Deyan

Hi Deyan,

There is nothing wrong with lightly loading a fully elliptical canopy. It is just that most people who are only ready for a light wingloading are not ready for the quick turn rate, harness sensitivity, and unpredictable openings associated with a highly elliptical planform. On the other hand, crossbrace parachutes, and those with a mostly closed nose do require airspeed and a skilled pilot to remain stable in turbulence. The closure increases the negative lift, reducing the stability. Positive G's and high internal pressure are essential or safety on those parahutes.

Brian Germain
Author/Speaker/Teacher
www.GermainSeminars.com
"Less Fear, More Happiness"
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Hi Brian,

in your opinion, what canopy type/size shouldn't be flawn under what WL?

And, if any, why so?

Crossbrace canopies should be flow at or above 1.6 LBS per square foot, but that is also a matter of experience. A skilled pilot can maintain sufficient airspeed and line tension throughout the flight below 1000 feet, so lighter wingloadings can be fine under those circumstances. Most pilots are happier at or above 1.8 on smaller wings, (84 and smaller), but higher than that on canopies of a greater surface area. It is a complex issue, one that also includes the individual effects of design from one product to another. There are exceptions to every rule.

As for Fully eliptical "bicell" canopies, 1.4 -1.9 is the optimal range, but that is more about feeling and recovery arc than it is stability. Most of the current designs are quite stable. Even as low as 0.8, many elipticals are very fun to fly. You just have to know what is over your head and fly it the way it wants to be flown.

Hope this help.

Peace and grooviness,
Brian
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com