3mpire

more than 1 license number?

Each license you get is yours to keep, number and all. Even if you quit & come back, same # for life. And as each license is earned prior to each subsequent license, they can all be listed. So Jimmy has his A, and C & D (a lot of us never bothered with the B). I also have only the tree and were I to list all my licenses, ratings, etc. I could list each one I ever held.

Interesting--I never knew you could skip over a step. I just assumed that you had to progress sequentially A-D. I knew you got different numbers for each level, I just was confused as to why they would list both C and D but not others.

Do you only "actively" use one at a time--like when you're a current member you use your most recent? Or can you just use them interchangeably (not sure why you would want to)?

Just trying to get my head around the rules--Thanks!

You can't "skip" a step - for example, to get a C, you still have to meet all the requirements for an A and a B even though you might never apply for the B license (that's what I did). In my case I had about 150 jumps before I managed to get water training, and I saw no immediate value in the B, so I just waited till I was ready to apply for the C. Took both tests at the same time and documented requirements for both but only applied for C.

If someone asks me to sign a bunch of jumps in a row in their logbook I'll mix it up and use each of my license numbers to sign different jumps. All of them are valid numbers.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Well, that was in the early days, I'm sure. But for at least the last 21 years taking all written tests has been required regardless of your intent to actually get that license.

To the O.P.: The D means you've done everything USPA requires of you as far as licensing goes. The D supersedes the A, B, & C. so that by using the D in a signature, for example, it is understood that the requirements for A, B, & C have been satisfied. So, no, it is not at all necessary to go from one to another, back and forth. The D says it all. You also do not have to have held any license prior to the D, you just have to be qualified, done all the requirements and take the written test for all four licenses.