profesorlino

wingsuit landing without parachute project

Video

Here I hit 8 mph briefly while doing a tandem flyby. This was trying to stay level with the tandem, so I do think a slight negative vallue is possible (as Finish wingsuit pilot Visa has already shown with data as well). But note the forward speed.

It would be like jumping off a car doing 80 to 100 mph. Transitioning further 'up' than the +- 10 degree negative angle of attack you see here isnt possible if you want to flare. Anything more 'head-high' than that instantly kills forward speed and makes you drop like a rock.

Watching a lot of close POV video of Robert skimming the ground at +- 2 to 3 meters, i wish the person who wants to try a lot of LUCK. As thats the only thing that will make you survive such a thing. Similar to throwing 10 people of the back of a truck doing 80 mph onto concrete. Some will make it. Most wont;)

The often quoted ground effect also wont help, as it wont be doing anything for you untill you're at about 10 cm off the ground with your arms. By which time your belly and knees are already scraping the pavement:S

Its a fun subject to talk about...but try flying past a canopy at full flare, and imagine hitting the ground moving at that speed...Ive seen that visual a lot of times, and will gladly offer to watch other people trying..but will skip when its my turn..B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

>what about the possibility of getting close to the water, and start trailing
>something in the water that would bleed off speed, gradually acting as a
>brake?

You mean like your belly?

>i picture a LONG narrow pool, maybe 50 yards x 300 yards x say 4 feet deep?

I'd picture, like, a big lake with some styrofoam beads floating on the water. Much cheaper than building a pool, and much easier to hit. A zero wind day would be critical. Glassy water has much higher drag _and_ won't beat the crap out of you. (It's amazing how much punishment even mildly choppy water can deliver.)

I still think the water landing is the best option to start with, but I think having a series of hoses through the water bubbling it with air would be a good option. I was thinking of a much bigger and deeper pool too.

Heck I hit 0 mph doing that, at least accorging to my Alti Track. Not to quibble though, because if you're only falling at 8 MPH at 20' altitude, even if you then drop like a rock, you still won't be going down more than 20 mph.
And I was talking about a water landing. See my post on the previous page.
Lot's of people survive high forward speed water impacts, speed boats, etc.
I think you will skip on top until you slow down enough to dig in, then it's pretty much the same if you started from a wingsuit or an inner tube.
Or maybe not... LOL
'
But what do I know?