drewcarp

Shipping Rig To Australia

Does anyone know the cheapest way to ship a rig to Australia?

I checkd UPS and got a quote of $1200. And USPS said $190 not insured. I know to delare it as "goods returned to owner after service" to skip some import tax for the buyer but was hoping to get it over there for less.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance!

DC

Yeah don't do that (cheat) if it gets lost or gets ugly it will get real ulgy. Declare and insure it proper or don't send it. Just my opinion based on lots and lots of international shipping :) Oh and always send USPS if you can.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Thaks for the tip. So you are saying it's not reasonable to believe that my Australian friend came to the US with his rig and left it with me to clean and send back to him in Aus? :P;)

What if I got it repacked and my rigger mailed it back?

Lets hear your horror story!

I sold 5 crw canopies to a guy in western australia and used USPS. It took 3 weeks to get there but they got it and were pretty happy. But I also used it to send a cypres to guy in canada & he said he never got it and threatened to sue me. I hate dealing with sending shit out of the country.
my pics & stuff!

so you shipped canopies? Im about to send my main, reserve and cypres to mirage to be packed and assembled in my new container. Any suggestions regarding shipping techniques? Of course, I'm a bit paranoid at the astronomical odds of a puncture en route. Just curious, concerned.. Any insight anyone could provide would be very helpful!
In freefall, you have the rest of your life to figure out what's wrong. -Joe, AFF Instructor

Im about to send my main, reserve and cypres to mirage to be packed and assembled in my new container.

Why wouldn't you have a local rigger assemble it?

Even if Mirage will do it for free (and they probably are not), you would spend a lot on shipping, risk damage, and lose out on the potential to watch it being done (if the rigger is agreeable to that).
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Totally agree with sundevil. Find a rigger you can watch, at least attaching your main. In my opinion, every jumper should know how to attach and unattach their main from the container. How to attach the main to their risers. How and why to do a simple line check, and how to do a complete line check. Also, how to properly attach bridles to main canopies, and pilot chutes to bridles. All of this is basic stuff and should be known by every jumper. In my opinion. Most of this is NOT included in a packing course, but will make you a more informed jumper and rig owner.
Life is short ... jump often.

My favorite was when I sent several canopies to a friend of mine in Australia. He wasn't in a hurry for them so I sent them "slow/cheap" USPS. He never said anything so I assumed they got there. 4-5 months later I had a note in my mailbox saying I had a package for which I owed like $50 in delivery charges. I was very confused until I saw the box in the post office..

Apparently it had arrived in Australia, got there during a week when he was out of town on vacation, and since he didn't pick it up within a week they shipped it back - all by boat!

Luckily he came back to the US for a CRW event shortly thereafter and I just hand-delivered them :-)

Im about to send my main, reserve and cypres to mirage to be packed and assembled in my new container.

That's a negative ghostrider. First off, the canopies are the heaviest parts of the rig. The harness itself is 12 to 14lbs, the complete rig is going to be twice that weight. You're going to ship 20lbs there and 30+lbs back as compared to 14lbs one way.

Not to mention the threat of loss. Even if you insure it all, how long will it take to get your money out of the shipper, and then replace all your stuff? All while your new container sits empty and you're not jumping. the best way to protect your stuff is not to ship it anywhere or ever leave it in your car aside from driving to the DZ and back. Never put it in a checked bag on an airplane either, always keep it in your posession.

Beyond that, have a local rigger to the assemble and pack. First off, you need a rigger so now is a great time to meet one and develop a relationship. Have the DZ reccomend a few locals to you, then call and see who's up for you watching your first rig assembled and packed. You'll have to be flexible as far as scheduling the time of the work, and you have to promise not to ask too many questions, but you should be there to see how your gear goes together.

The bigger reason is to get another set of eyes on the container. Rigs have left the factory improperly built, and if you have them packed there, the problems are hidden in the pack job. Get the 'second opinion' from your local rigger, just to double check the factory's work.

Let's all hope that no one from the ATO (Australian Tax Office) is watching this post.

If they can track down my passage being shipped some time in the next week from somewhere in the US to somewhere in AUS from half my name then they deserve whatever money they can squeeze out of the deal B|

But yeah that would suck.

Let's all hope that no one from the ATO (Australian Tax Office) is watching this post.

If they can track down my passage being shipped some time in the next week from somewhere in the US to somewhere in AUS from half my name then they deserve whatever money they can squeeze out of the deal B|

But yeah that would suck.

I hope it works for you! A flight over hand carrying the rig is always best but I guess that may not be an option for you. Good luck!

I forgot to mention that I'm deployed in afghanistan... B| sry, didnt think it was pertinent. since i originally posted, my instructor informed me that the dz is going to loan me a main until theyre comfortable with me downsizing to a 210 (started aff on a 260). so i will only ship my reserve and cypres to mirage, and one of my dz's riggers will rig the main when im FINALLY home to jump! woohoo! i timed the purchase just right, so it will ship exactly around the time when i get back!

In freefall, you have the rest of your life to figure out what's wrong. -Joe, AFF Instructor