HaydnH

Spain and medical letter for UK resident

Hi All,

I'm a UK resident and have a holiday in Spain booked to learn to skydive (AFF course + consolidation jumps) including flights, hotel etc. I'm only 34 and haven't even been to a doctors since 1998 which was for a tetanus shot after treading on something sharp in the desert.

However I've been told I need a letter from my GP stating that I'm fit enough to skydive as the rules are different in Spain. I saw my GP about a week ago and was informed I would receive a letter, I picked up the letter last night which states I'm "fit to fly" and have no documented serious illnesses etc. However, according to the dropzone that won't be enough. The kicker is I'm meant to fly over on Saturday - also tomorrow (Friday) is a bank holiday!

My GP is refusing to change the letter to "fit for skydiving" without a thorough examination which I now don't have time for (or rather the doctor doesn't have time for!), I'm waiting for them to call back to let me know if they'll say "fit for sports" which apparently would suffice. Any other ideas? Otherwise I'm going on a bloody expensive holiday with nothing to do!!

Thanks in advance for your response,

Haydn.

Haydn,
I'm a UK jumper aged 36 and I've jumped all over Spain.
My girlfriend Karen did her AFF in Spain although it was many years ago.
I've never heard of this requirement. If you are jumping under the BPA system then you complete a self declaration and no medicals are required until you are over 40.

http://www.bpa.org.uk/forms/docs/form%20114%20-%20declaration%20of%20fitness[2].pdf

Are you jumping under USPA rules? I don't believe they are different except you may want to reconsider and go BPA so it's easier to jump back in the UK when you get home.
Which Spanish DZ are we talking about?
I can do some digging around for you if you need me too, but in the meantime contact the BPA offices before they close.

http://www.bpa.org.uk/contact-us

Let me know how you get on as I can help you out further with names of people and contacts who you can speak to to sort this out.

Thanks for the response. I've already contacted the BPA, I became a member for the 3rd party insurance and I plan on jumping when I get back as much as I can. The BPA say it's only the second time they've heard about this in Spain (the other being earlier this week or last week). Maybe the laws have changed? Or maybe the staff member has got it wrong?

The dropzone is Empuriabrava, I'm not sure if that's BPA or USPA to be honest. I'd prefer BPA but it's a bit late to change now if it's USPA.

Apparently my GP has reworded the letter but still makes no mention of "skydiving" or even "sports" so I'm not sure if it will be acceptable.

The dropzone has told me that there is a doctor there who can examine me for €25, I'm not exactly sure when I'm going to fit that in though as Friday & Monday are bank holidays and I'm meant to be starting the AFF course on Tuesday.

I even saw a different GP today as a recommendation from my own GP - he wouldn't even examine me without access to my records. I have to say I'm fairly amazed at how complicated it can be to get a simple letter over here in the UK!

I've just collected the reword letter, it now reads:

At the time of signing Mr Haines is currently well, with no documented history of chronic or significant disease and is taking no medications to my knowledge.

I hope this information is useful to you when making an assessment regarding parachute jumping.

Do you think this will be sufficient? Although they did get my address wrong on the letter... it makes you wonder what they actually do with all that time studying. :P

I've just collected the reword letter, it now reads:

At the time of signing Mr Haines is currently well, with no documented history of chronic or significant disease and is taking no medications to my knowledge.

I hope this information is useful to you when making an assessment regarding parachute jumping.

Do you think this will be sufficient? Although they did get my address wrong on the letter... it makes you wonder what they actually do with all that time studying. :P

I suspect that part of your doctor's reticence is the reluctance I have seen many doctors have about being seen to expressly "endorse" / "approve of" / "encourage", etc. their patients' skydiving, since they view skydiving as very dangerous. I think I can see that, while reading between the lines of the way your doctor has phrased his letter.

At the end of the day, if your doctor is not willing to use the specific words you want in the letter, you obviously can't force him to do more; you either accept his letter as written, or you go doctor-shopping.

As for whether it will be sufficient, that's really impossible to predict in a vacuum, as it's a matter of individual discretion. Only the specific DZO can say whether he will or will not accept that particular letter.

As for whether it will be sufficient, that's really impossible to predict in a vacuum, as it's a matter of individual discretion. Only the specific DZO can say whether he will or will not accept that particular letter.

Thanks for the response Andy, I'll cross my fingers.

Thanks for the response Andy, I'll cross my fingers.

I do not think that it will be enough.

What they want to see on the certificate = Medical fit to skydive.

If your doctor doesn’t want to sign that paper, go to another one. Ask Reagan if he knows one in Empuria.

This certificate is more than probable required by the insurance, every federation has its own insurance with its specific rules.