Marcus93

Tying sliders whilst under canopy

Hi all, did a quick search but i couldnt find anything related (probably searching with the wrong keywords but im as basic as they come so i havent learned them yet).

I've seen in a few videos that people often tie off their slider after the canopy has completely deployed but before they take control of the toggles. (if they're not tying it what are they up to?)

I was just wondering why and if its canopy/discipline specific?

Thanks very much,
Marcus

Most if not all student gear has regular, non-collapsible sliders. When you start to downsize, you'll run into gear that has drawstrings (or some velcro) on the slider: a collapsible slider.

You can then choose to collapse the slider to prevent the flapping noise.

Some setups also allow you to lower the slider behind your head after collapsing, this besides less noise also helps with allowing the canopy to spread a bit further, making it fly better.

Some people choose to completely remove the slider (and sometimes the bag+pilotchute as well) and stow it in their jumpsuit, this is more swoop-specific although a few other jumpers do this as well.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ahh i thought it might have something to do with the noise, doesnt removing a slider lead to pretty hard openings though? (as thats my basic understanding of part of what a slider does)

You're correct that the slider helps slowing down the opening. These jumpers remove the slider AFTER opening ;) It's called an RDS (removable deployment system). This makes for less drag, which again helps (really small) canopies fly a bit better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPaARFEqlIU

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Genius that is me haha, how is the slider removed in an RDS? is it some kind of cut away cord you pull and the whole thing just removes (i couldnt see in the video you posted as it was just out of sight)

Again correct me if im wrong on this but arent the bag and pilot chute level with the canopy? (havent actually spotted mine under canopy, ill add it to the to do list in my next jump) do they have some kind of cut-away system as well? if so where abouts is it connected to your rig so that you can access it?

Cheers again for the replies

I have critisized new jumpers for dealing with the slider before doing a canopy control check. I tell them that the proper order of chores after opening begins with clearing your airspace, unstowing the brakes and doing a canopy control check. Once you are done with those chores it's ok to deal with stowing your slider, Dbag and pilot chute and unfastening your chest strap, and for photographers, unclipping your wings.

A couple of years ago a photographer went in doing all these things in the wrong order. He had unclipped his wings and unfastened his chest strap first, then found out he was having a mal. Once he cut away he could not find his reserve handle due to the unfastened wings and cheststrap.
Green Light
"Harry, why did you land all the way out there? Nobody else landed out there."
"Your statement answered your question."

I have critisized new jumpers for dealing with the slider before doing a canopy control check. I tell them that the proper order of chores after opening begins with clearing your airspace, unstowing the brakes and doing a canopy control check. Once you are done with those chores it's ok to deal with stowing your slider, Dbag and pilot chute and unfastening your chest strap, and for photographers, unclipping your wings.

A couple of years ago a photographer went in doing all these things in the wrong order. He had unclipped his wings and unfastened his chest strap first, then found out he was having a mal. Once he cut away he could not find his reserve handle due to the unfastened wings and cheststrap.

That's a scary story. It would be great if we could learn more about it.
What goes around, comes later.