ruleofpull

I'm still learning...

I'm not sure what to title this post. I am on student status, with 12 jumps. I jumped the other day, and I'm slightly confused as to what happened. There was another student on the load, and I was the 2nd last one out of the plane (the last group was an AFF, with two instructors). The guy who jumped before me was also a student. I'm a bit confused about what happened (and it didn't occur to me until later why it seemed odd):
The student ahead of me exited (I think at 13,500 approximately). The plane then had to make a second pass at the drop zone, so I had to wait-not long, but at least a moment or two, to exit. I exited, all was fine, and I pulled at 4500ft (and I know I pulled at 4500). The other student was also supposed to pull at 4500, and he exited before we made the second pass. I know I was significantly lighter than him, and we both were jumping student gear. My question is: How did we manage to land within seconds of each other on the DZ? Even under canopy, it seemed somewhat strange that we were almost at the same altitude. Is it just because I'm a newbie, and don't know the different descent rates, or is it possible that he pulled high? Is it the difference between canopies? Could it be...? Just trying to figure this one out, and again, it didn't occur to me until an hour after I left the drop zone.

Well, even if your delay was a minute, that's (roughly) only the time to descend under canopy ~ 1000 ft. He might have pulled a few hundred feet higher, you might have sniveled more, he might have used his brakes more than you, you might have executed more aggressive turns, he might have had a lower wing loading, etc. IOW, lots of factors (or just one) could account for why you caught him.

Also depends on what he might have been practicing under canopy. For example, if he was working on braked turns on his canopy that could slow his descent rate enough for you to end up on a similar level at landing time. Which is why it's always a good idea to look around, figure out who else is in the air with you, see what they're doing, and try to maintain separation long before it's time to land.