flyright

Washington State/Oregon

In the spring I will be traveling to Washington to hopefully track down the place where my fiancé's mother once jumped at to perform an ash dive in her memory. If you recognize this place or can help with any additional info please message or post. TY.
Beware of Wandering Minions!!!

Not sure of the Dropzone, based on the pics. However a quick search of the jumpplane's registration seen in several of them in the background indicate the same registered owner of that A/C since Feb 1985. So if the pics are any time after 14 Feb, 1985 - we can direct you at least to the plane's owner, who might be able to provide further information.

PM me if so, and you think that info in of itself might be of any help.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Obviously before my time but that looks like eastern Washington to me. The western part of the state is very green and gets lots of rain, the eastern part is in the rain shadow of the cascade range, so it has very few trees, lots of sage brush, and dry/sandy soil.

I just spoke with the owner of one of the planes in the picture and the dropzone shown in in Sheridon Oregon. His plane wan't the jump ship but he did fly jumpers at one time. He atleast help me narrow down the location and i'm sending him the pics through email so he can have a look. The DZ is closed now and there isn't even an airport there now. Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate all the help! Anyone ever jump Sheraton back in the day!?

Hi fly,

Wow, my memory must be almost completely gone!

I took a 2nd & very long look at those photos & do believe that is Sheridan.

I just don't have a memory of the building being that dark color; but the last photo, from the air, of the dz is Sheridan. I just needed to get it turned around to recognize it.

You will not be performing any kind of jumping there anymore.

Send me an email and I'll get you Ted Mayfield's phone number.

This getting old is not what it's supposed to be. :S

JerryBaumchen

Not sure of the Dropzone, based on the pics. However a quick search of the jumpplane's registration seen in several of them in the background indicate the same registered owner of that A/C since Feb 1985. So if the pics are any time after 14 Feb, 1985 - we can direct you at least to the plane's owner, who might be able to provide further information.

PM me if so, and you think that info in of itself might be of any help.

The Pics are from before my mom had me I would guess they are from 1978 to 1979 sometime. She got pregnant with me the beginning of 80.

Thank you Honey for helping me do this

No problem honey, our search for your mom's DZ turned into quite the little crazy story history lesson. I'll be interested to see what happens with it in the future on our little trip to Sheridan some day.

Check the DBCooper thread in history & trivia. Probably what he is referring to.

Edit to add: Or... you could always also do a search / lookup for "Mayfield" or Ted Mayfield - in case THAT can of worms is what is being referred to. Quite a lot of "interesting" stuff, if you are so inclined, actually under either. ;)

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Hi fly,

You think he's the type that wouldn't mind us taking him out to dinner,

While I would not count on him picking up the bill, Ted is one the most people-persons that I have ever met.

He can tell you stories about jumping/flying until the cows come home.

He has done a lot of things in life that I would ( hopefully ) never do but he is one of the most-likeable people anyone will ever meet. The consumate optimist.

JerryBaumchen

PS) PM sent.