Jumper-Brown

Future AFF'ers

No idea on the first rig...hasn't even entered my calculations yet.

Here's my general cost (assume to be +/- a few hundred here or there for yourself)

AFF A-E + solo (no repeats): $~1500
10 solo: $25 lift / $23 rental: $480
6 coach: $98 per (coach plus rental) + lift = $738

Total: ~$2700

I have no idea how I'm going to split coach and solo so those are just ballpark figures. Can't rent non-student gear until the A because they have no RSL here, cash for goodies will have to wait until I'm done.

Plus $60 for USPA

I'm talking about going from zero to A license and a first rig?

Depends, do you already own an altimeter? Helmet and/or goggles? Jumpsuit? It all adds up! >:(

Each drop zone may vary in price when it comes to their program to get licensed. Other things to consider, are you looking to purchase a new rig, or a used one?

I purchased a used jumpsuit and helmet for $40 (from Skydive Chicago). My altimeter was $200 (Evolution Inversion Altimeter). My goggles = free, hand me downs from another newly A-licensed skydiver from my drop zone who purchased a Z1 helmet. Are you willing to pack to offset costs? Or just pay your way through? Good luck. :)
~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~
---Kollege Kay--,--'-@
Newbie Skydiver

A quick easy answer, and obviously other replies will vary:

3,500 for a totally decent rig

If by SDLI you mean Skydive Long Island (big assumption I know) their website seems to advertise the AFF program, with discounts as about 1300

Add in 25 here, 35 there, 45 for gas or whatever... I think a reasonable estimate would come to about:

4,875? then add in rentals, coach fees, a rip cord or two if you throw it away instead of keeping it (or maybe that was just me) ....lol. Compared to the other responses, I think what we're all getting at is its really EXPENSIVE!! But totally worth it. How can you compare any dollar amount to really living while you're alive? Deep thoughts.

My DZ closes for the winter after this week and I plan on starting AFF when they reopen in March. I'm getting my hands and eyes on whatever pieces of skydiving information I can (the 2012 SIM, forums, The Riggers Handbook, YouTube videos, reading "Parachuting: The Skydiver's Handbook" on my Kindle, etc) practicing arching on my living room floor, and learning basic terms and concepts to pass the time. I want to be as prepared as possible before I begin my official training.

Anyway, what are you going to do (or did you do) to pass the time? The wait is absolutely killing me...and it's only been 4 days since my maiden jump.

I am about in the same boat, waiting with the hopes of a nice Saturday now and then. I have been finding some really good threads on the Safety and Training Forum, as I wait. You might want to spend some time there.

Dan
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

So me and my buddy Sandy went down to Raeford to get some tunnel time before we start AFF in the spring. I've had two tandems and I've read the skydivers handbook so I felt prepared for my tunnel time. My instructor said I was a natural and that I would breeze through AFF. That just makes me even more anxious for warmer weather so I can start AFF. Check out the video... I'm first up...

http://youtu.be/oQ1PZDyhUdo

Nice job in the tunnel, I'd say, with my limited experience, that you're pretty natural too.

Freefall is different, and not to open a huge can of worms but I say keep an open mind and take it all in because for me at least there is a big difference in the two.

Others will disagree I'm sure but that's probably in a different thread somewhere too.