ries85

First rig question

Im trying to put together my first rig and im wondering if a Lightning would be alright as a first wing. IM looking at a Lightning 218 and im about 200lbs out the door. I know that the Lightning is a Crew rig but from what i understand its just reenforced. let me know what you guys think. Oh and im currently at 40 jumps and have been jumping a Nav 220, Pilot 210 and a Saber 210.

Im trying to put together my first rig and im wondering if a Lightning would be alright as a first wing. IM looking at a Lightning 218 and im about 200lbs out the door. I know that the Lightning is a Crew rig but from what i understand its just reenforced. let me know what you guys think. Oh and im currently at 40 jumps and have been jumping a Nav 220, Pilot 210 and a Saber 210.

No.There are other differences, and even if it was a Storm, it's not a canopy that a newer jumper wants to be under. The Silhouette, Spectre, SabreII, Pilot, Pulse are all great wings for the next few hundred jumps.

Yeah that what i heard if it was made from the zero material, but the one for sale is F-111 and i heard it would be alright(but what do i know). Im looking at the complete rig thats for sale in the classifieds, Mirage G3 container with pd 176 reserve and the 218 lightning. he also has a saber 189 that he could throw in it but reading about the sizing discrepancy on them i feel that it will be too small

I love lightnings, but you'll be happier with just about any other canopy on the market. It's gonna open hard, it's gonna fly like shit and it's gonna land like shit :) But I tell you what, try to demo it and make up your own mind. You'd be loading it too much according to PDs own sizing chart. "F-111" canopies are great around .7

Also, I didn't know there was a Sabre 189.

Yeah I'm not too sure that's just what he said he had

The sabre 1 comes in a 190sqft size among others. Sabre 1 and sabre 2 do not have a size discrepancy.

However the safire 1 does come in 189 sqft and that canopy is about 1 size smaller than the label says. (The safire 2 is the size it says it is.)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Yeah I'm not too sure that's just what he said he had

The sabre 1 comes in a 190sqft size among others. Sabre 1 and sabre 2 do not have a size discrepancy.

However the safire 1 does come in 189 sqft and that canopy is about 1 size smaller than the label says. (The safire 2 is the size it says it is.)

I believe that was only canopies made by one of the shops, so there are some out there that actually are the correct size and then some that are smaller (roughly 10% smaller).

Mark Lancaster (masterrigger1) could give you more info on that, just a heads up.;)

ETA: There wasn't a Sabre1 189. (well, unless they cut 1ft² off of a 190)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Wendy....Most all lightnings were not designed/meant to be taken to terminal...but...there are a few out there that were. I have one, but, it was actually ordered and designed to be taken to terminal. So, with that in mind, it may be one of those that were. A check with PD would be in order if it is being advertised as such (but the odds are that it is most likely not one that was). Just sayin.
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Yeah that what i heard if it was made from the zero material, but the one for sale is F-111 and i heard it would be alright(but what do i know). Im looking at the complete rig thats for sale in the classifieds, Mirage G3 container with pd 176 reserve and the 218 lightning. he also has a saber 189 that he could throw in it but reading about the sizing discrepancy on them i feel that it will be too small

Given your stated 200 pound exit weight, you were loading the 210 you have been jumping at 0.95 and you'd be loading that 176 reserve at 1.13.

I'd suggest that you have your wing loading priorities backwards. You may consider switching that around.

Buy the rig that fits you and first has the appropriately sized reserve and then holds the appropriately sized main.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeah I stand corrected its a Safire 189. Which I hav been reading about and it looks like there 8% smaller than advertised so a 189 would be closer to a 174. I'm thinking that will be alright in a month or so. Jumped a 190 today and felt pretty good with it. Maybe put 30ish jumps on that and I will be comfortable to go to the Safire 189. Thanks alot for the help guys.