jsaxton

Scary almost mal

Well I finally got a little taste of what a high speed mal is like.
This last Sunday uneventful skydive, normal breakoff, waveoff @ 3.5
normal throwout, nothing, nothing, nothing, get stood up and I see what looks like a classic baglock. Reach down for my handles then WHAM! Full inflation while in a stand (ouch). no line twists. Control check OK, nice 90 for landing ;)

This was a normal (not rushed) pack job and none of the packing bands were broken.

Anyone had a similar experiance?

And let's not forget this post by the inventor of the hand deployed pilot chute, Bill Booth, on how to check to see if your P/C is built correctly.

I just got done returning a brand new kill line pilot chute, because it failed to meet the criteria established in that post. The apex was pulled below skirt before I ever made a jump on the thing, and my rigger assured me it would only get worse as the (spectra) kill line shrunk.

edited to add, for those that would look at my profile to see what I jump, the P/C in question was NOT made by Sunrise Rigging... theirs was mfg'd properly, and I've subsequently order a replacement from them.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."