Student Deployment

On a student's first solo deployment, say during static line progression, does she/he toss out a pilot chute or use a "ripcord"? If a ripcord is used, at what point would one transition to the pilot chute method?

thanks

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Well, way back when I was learning, there wasn't a throw out pilot chute option.

I suggest contacting the instructors at your DZ and asking what kind of equipment they are using. Some have the pilot chute, some have a rip cord where the pilot chute would be.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

This is some thing you will have to ask at your DZ. Deployment method varies from DZ to DZ. I think that most are using a throw out pilot chute these days. When we used ripcords, we did a transition jump with the student a couple of jumps after they graduated. But, like I said, you'll have to ask your instuctor how they do things.

I am going through a tandem progression course. my four tandems where all rip cord released drogues, naturally. Then on level five, my first so called solo, although my instructor was clinging to my side, I was given a dolphin container with a standard BOC pilot chute through out. Like others have said, I am sure this varies from DZ 2 DZ

I guess I was really wondering if they even HAD ripcords for modern gear. Looks like they do.

Thanks,

Jim

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I don't think that we'll ever stop using rip cords and spring loaded pilots during training at my dropzone.
It's up to the licensed jumper to choose deployment method when they buy their own rig...

Think its the same at ours too. It works fine. Excewpt for hesitation now and again. Its going to be a pain to have to readjust whats become natural tho when I eventually move on to own kit

At our DZ, you start out with ripcord rigs after your SL jumps. Then after you've done a few freefall excersises and you've shown you can get stable quickly after being unstable, so you'll probably PULL stable, you can transition to BOC.
This is because it's safer to have a ripcord than a BOC when you might NOT be stable (less chance of the bridle to wrap around your body etc).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I went through IAD instead of static line (your JM throws the pilot chuts as soon as you release from the strut). We did 5 of those, then went straight to BOC deployment by the student. I never jumped a static line once. 5 IADs then 5 second freefall, if all went well with your practice pulls.

The two sigma tandems we have we also use for our training tandems so the students have to be able to reach the handle. It's like a little golf ball on a spring that you pull.
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?