kuai43

Anyone know what this gear is?

What he said. Reverse three ring but at 47 sec when you can see the back it looks slightly different for the locking loop than usual. May just be the frame. These have for the most part been abandoned in the U.S. as not a good idea. This was one solution to type 17 risers that were breaking, even though these aren't type 17, but the added reenforcing now used solved that problem. Reverse three rings weren't as reliable in releasing as normal.

The red rig in the door looks like a russian version of a wonderhog type rig from the 70's. A little clunkier but with a BOC added. The grey conventional rig is some sort of military bailout rig converted like in the 50's, 60's and 70's in the U.S. But I don't know what he could have in it. I've never seen a conventional rig that thick. Two and I think all three of the first rigs had KAP AOD's. Looked like the red one wasn't turned on. Probably the other two weren't either.

Looked like a vintage gear jump in the U.S. but I suspect this was their normal jump gear.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Man, that's boring, just a reversed 3 ring, that was used a lot by Parachutes de France, and was seen in in the early 1990s in North America too. Someone else can explain the advantages and disadvantages. The system is basically not used any more in North America. Not sure about Europe.0

When you mentioned "Russian" and I saw old gear with a KAP-3 / PPK at the start of the video, I figured you would mean the upside down 3 ring system.

After the 3 ring system came out, the Russians created their own version of the 3 ring that was just as sensible as the US version, but different. They put the complex 2 smaller ring assembly on the harness, and one big ring on the risers.

The Comventional rig was a Soviet era D-5 military rig. Usually with a triangle reserve and a baseball type constructed round main, originally a drogue deployed with an Static line and AAD activated drogue release. The smoke jumpers in Alaska use a copy of this H&C system. There is one at the Jump Shack on display.

Thanks for your experience, guys. I always appreciate learning something.

So, the risers are simply twisted 180 & hooked up as usual? I'm trying to get a good look at it, but it's hard to see.

Is there anything different about the cutaway cables/housings?

Is it just my eyes, or is there something funny about the toggle setup?

Are those dive loops flapping around and are they hooked up above the connection line attachments?

Final question - is that a twist-tie securing the toggle??
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

So, the risers are simply twisted 180 & hooked up as usual? I'm trying to get a good look at it, but it's hard to see.

Big No No!

It's completly different risers.
There is no hole in them and thats why you have to put them on backwards.
And because of there is no hole, it's stronger.

I twisted the riser as much as I could to get the picture, but as you can see no hole and the white loop goes trough a extra "keeper"

Those are Russian Malva containers. The one with belly reserve is PO-9, which were sometimes used with PO-16 parachutes due to some safety issues with lower center flap of original PO-16 container. All of them have PPKU AAD's.

Mystery solved.

So, the risers are simply twisted 180 & hooked up as usual?

No, as mentioned before it's a different system. The risers do not have a hole but do have a flap for the grommet. The big ring (the one on your rig) is placed a bit different so the angle for release is better. These 2 go together, ie you shouldn't put reversed risers on a "normal" rig. You can put regular risers on a "reversed" rig though (although the manufacturer might not agree).

I have 2 PdF rigs, one has reversed risers, one regular.

Is there anything different about the cutaway cables/housings?

No?

Is it just my eyes, or is there something funny about the toggle setup?

Dunno? Guess what you mean by "not funny". There's a lot of different ways to attach and stow your toggles, if you have to pack a system you're not familiar with, ASK.

Are those dive loops flapping around and are they hooked up above the connection line attachments?

Think about it. Force, levers and all that. You want the attachement point for a dive loop to be as high as possible to get the most "reaction" out of them.

Final question - is that a twist-tie securing the toggle??

I think I see what you mean (@0:46). No clue about that one.

ciel bleu,
Saskia