Assaultdog0351

Any good experiences in VA

I'm going to be up in VA for a few months and I'm looking to renew my A license, work towards my B and convince my buddies they should at LEAST do a tandem... What is a good DZ around Quantico? I've only been to a couple DZs but I don't have time or patience for a tandem factory (I did my AFF at one and it was a pain in the dick compared to say Deland, where I fell in love, or Raeford). I clicked through the "Dropzone" tab but I would prefer some up-to-date chatter vs a post from 4 years ago. Thanks ahead of time, for your time. SF
New guy... Just finished AFF

Real close to Quantico, within an hour - Skydive Orange. Good place, good people, love em to death. My official "home" even though I am currently on a surgically induced hiatus. Great after hours atmosphere. Good instructors, equipment yadda yadda. Currently with a twin otter.

Further down 95 just a bit south of Richmond is VA Skydiving Center. this used to be West Point Skydiving, before they moved. Another quality group of jumpers, and used to have a great party atmosphere post jumping, though I am sad to say I have not been there since they moved, but from what I hear and see, they sure as hell are not slacking. I believe they have a caravan, as well as a warp drive powered cessna.

If you feel like taking road trips....

Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures - new cessna start-up in New Market, VA. Great DZO, former president from Orange.

Skydive Suffolk down towards Va Beach
Skydive Delmarva up on the East side of DC.

Never been to either, but never had a friend say anything bad about any other them

Overall, you aren't going wrong anywhere in VA.

Just to add to what Brandon said, there is a new DZ at West Point. As far as I know, it is tandem oriented. There is also a tandem mill in Warrenton. I think they call themselves DC Skydivers.

Go to Orange, Suffolk, or VA Skydiving Center.

- Dan G

I am a retired Marine and I run Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures. We are located at New Market airport in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley. We are a new DZ with a Cessna 182. Come on out and we'll show you a good time!
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Back in January 2008 Orange opened up the DZ to the UConn Collegiate skydiving team. We were weathered out in Florida and the south east, and it was the middle of the week when we started to slog our way back up to CT.

They opened up for us in the middle of the week, found an otter pilot to show up, and had some club jumpers come out. The weather was pretty warm for VA in January so that helped!

The jump tickets at the time were rediculously cheap, I can't remember if it was their winter club member price, or if they threw us a bone. Either way it was awesome.

They let my grandfather fly right seat in the otter, he lives in the area and had come out to visit.

After the day was over we were invited over some ones place for a BBQ. I need to go find my logbook to remember who, I remember on jumper whose nick name was Wingnut, and one of the individuals was a club board member at the time.

I haven't had a chance to make it back but they will allways be at the top of my list for one of the coolest DZ's in the country!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I checked out Blueridge while I was down there last weekend. It was awesome they helped me finish off my A card and I had a great time. Just some really great people over there and I am really looking forward to comming back in Oct. By that time I might be finishing off my B :)
Enter Funny thought Here

Back in January 2008 Orange opened up the DZ to the UConn Collegiate skydiving team. We were weathered out in Florida and the south east, and it was the middle of the week when we started to slog our way back up to CT.

They opened up for us in the middle of the week, found an otter pilot to show up, and had some club jumpers come out. The weather was pretty warm for VA in January so that helped!

The jump tickets at the time were rediculously cheap, I can't remember if it was their winter club member price, or if they threw us a bone. Either way it was awesome.

They let my grandfather fly right seat in the otter, he lives in the area and had come out to visit.

After the day was over we were invited over some ones place for a BBQ. I need to go find my logbook to remember who, I remember on jumper whose nick name was Wingnut, and one of the individuals was a club board member at the time.

I haven't had a chance to make it back but they will allways be at the top of my list for one of the coolest DZ's in the country!

Hey, I was there that day! Got you guys in my logbook.

Without even looking, I recall it was a Wednesday, we got winded out, 30+ gusts - Houps got out the ParaCommander & hooked it to his truck hitch with a rope so we could kite that thing up! Got 25' in the air hanging from armpits in the harness, flailing the wooden toggles back & forth... (safety first). Damn fun! B|:D

*Got your UCONN sticker on my refrigerator - glad to have jumped with you. :)
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Let them know they need a box jump to maintain that title... ;)>:(
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Hey, I was there that day! Got you guys in my logbook.

Without even looking, I recall it was a Wednesday, we got winded out, 30+ gusts - Houps got out the ParaCommander & hooked it to his truck hitch with a rope so we could kite that thing up! Got 25' in the air hanging from armpits in the harness, flailing the wooden toggles back & forth... (safety first). Damn fun! B|:D

You are right, we were winded out for a while, but not for the entire day. I have to go back to my log book, but I thought we made a few jumps when the winds died down.

I remember at least one pool noodle jump, hell that could have been the only one.

:D
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P