Whamie

AFF2 done...but need feedback please

First off, thanks again to the staff of Perris Skydiving School! Had a great AFF2 jump! Special thanks to Kenneth and Mikey who accompanied me on the jump and to Rob for the video and pics!

I'm from an engineering background so i guess i like to analyze things and get feedback from my peers. With that being said.

On my AFF1 jump, I jumped out rather unstable, legs were kicking, but i got into a belly down position and went through the dive flow. Even opened my own chute. However, on AFF1 I felt unstable and a bit confined since the instructors were holding on to me.

So before I took AFF2, I did 4 tunnel runs the day before just to work on body position. The tunnel runs were awesome since the instructor was very hands off during most of my flight. That allowed me to "feel" the air and get a feel of how my body should be position. I got a chance to practice small 90 degree turns and even did fall rate adjustments (going as high as the glass and falling back down to the wire but without touching the ground).

The next day was my AFF2 jump and the first thing i told myself was "do not kick, do not kick, do not kick". When I exited the plane, i arched, didn't kick, and I knew I nailed the exit. It just felt right. On this jump I feel really stable and achieved forward tracking for 6 seconds (the prescribed dive flow for the jump).

My question is was I stable because of the tunnel time or because the instructors keeping a hold of me ? or is it a combination of the two. All i do know is that my AFF2 jump was more stable and felt more stable than AFF1. Comparing the video of AFF1 and AFF2, it looks like AFF2 was more stable...but could it mean of the extra practice in the tunnel the previous day or cuz of the instructors.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback

Are you sure about that? You don't even know what it's going be...

That said, don't be such a dork (engineer), most of the time it doesn't 'fit' very well with skydiving. Often times it leads to over-analyzing and coming up with conclusions on your own which may or may not be correct.

In terms of your jumps, who really cares where it came from? You jumped, did better than your last jump, and lived, case closed. If you really want to know how much 'help' you had from your instructors, try asking them, that's what they're there for.

It's not unusual for a student to improve from jump to jump, that's called learning and what should be happening. Stick with your instructors for the time being, do what they tell you to do and ask them any questions you might have. In the end, it will help to keep you both on the same page (which is the instructors page, where you need to be).

Otherwise, just have fun and try to keep the analyzing and over-thinking to a minimum.

Sorry for asking

Lighten up a little, it's a not a 'sorry' situation. Very soon you'll be jumping on your own, and when that happens you'll have to ask around to get answers to your questions (and there will be questions).

Right now, however, you have a team of instructors at Perris who are there for the purpose of teaching you, which includes answering your questions. The trick is that even if you know other people you can ask (like on DZ.com) your instructors are also following a progression and in order to make sure you have the right answers for that progression, you need to stick to asking them for the time being.

Keep in mind that they work for you. You're in charge and can ask as many questions as you want, and take as much time as you need with anything. They have a standard way of doing things, and will follow that unless they have a reason to do otherwise. If you have quesitons or needs beyond what they're offering at the outset, just bring it up and they can adapt to make sure your needs are met.

You can go so far as to jot questions down as you think of them away from the DZ, and then bring that with you for your next jump.

I was just busting your balls about being an engineer. I am serious, however, about not tyring to 'solve' problems on your own. I know that engineers are typically turned to for problem solving, but in this case you need to drop that part of your personality and turn to an expert. Bad things can happen when you come to your own conclusions about things in skydiving, and then proceed un-checked to test them out. Yes, think, analyze and problem solve all you want on the ground, but never ever take anything into the air without having it verified by an instructor or senior jumper.

Sorry for asking

Lighten up a little, it's a not a 'sorry' situation. Very soon you'll be jumping on your own, and when that happens you'll have to ask around to get answers to your questions (and there will be questions).

Right now, however, you have a team of instructors at Perris who are there for the purpose of teaching you, which includes answering your questions. The trick is that even if you know other people you can ask (like on DZ.com) your instructors are also following a progression and in order to make sure you have the right answers for that progression, you need to stick to asking them for the time being.

Keep in mind that they work for you. You're in charge and can ask as many questions as you want, and take as much time as you need with anything. They have a standard way of doing things, and will follow that unless they have a reason to do otherwise. If you have quesitons or needs beyond what they're offering at the outset, just bring it up and they can adapt to make sure your needs are met.

You can go so far as to jot questions down as you think of them away from the DZ, and then bring that with you for your next jump.

I was just busting your balls about being an engineer. I am serious, however, about not tyring to 'solve' problems on your own. I know that engineers are typically turned to for problem solving, but in this case you need to drop that part of your personality and turn to an expert. Bad things can happen when you come to your own conclusions about things in skydiving, and then proceed un-checked to test them out. Yes, think, analyze and problem solve all you want on the ground, but never ever take anything into the air without having it verified by an instructor or senior jumper.

You're right, though. I should be able to separate myself from my work with this awesome weekend sport. And I will bring up question to my instructors on the next jump day. Would it surprise you if I already have a logbook for my jumps and tunnel time? :)
Anyhow, i'm looking forward to the next jump!

Later down the line can't wait for the packing class...hope they are ready for all my questions :)

Would it surprise you if I already have a logbook for my jumps and tunnel time?

Anyhow, i'm looking forward to the next jump!

Later down the line can't wait for the packing class...hope they are ready for all my questions

Everyone gets a logbook when they start jumping. Look at it this way, if you're a nightmare of a student, it's the only way for your instructors to warn your future instructors. (I guess it's also a good way to track your progress though the progression)

Packing class should be fun for you, a rig is just a big fabric machine, and there's no 'mystery' as to how it works. Freefall and canopy control both have an element of 'feel' to them, where you either 'get it' or you don't, but packing is just simple mechanics, and should be right up your alley. (Again, don't come to your own conclusions and test your own theories without input from an experienced pakcer or rigger).