OwenB

Returning after year long lay off - advice/suggestions needed on what to do?

Let's start with some background. Last May, a severely hard opening managed to fracture three vertebrae in my lumbar spine (I believe that was caused by the weightbelt I was wearing at the time), give myself whiplash and some soft tissue damage to the upper region of my spine.

Sadly, I was forced to stop jumping and spend the rest of the year focussing on letting my body heal itself, getting myself fit and well again in the hope that I would be able to get back into the air this coming season.

The doctor has finally given me the all clear to start jumping again, so the previous few months have really been focussed on getting my core fitness up through swimming, cycling, gym and yoga.

I think I would be lying to myself if I said I wasn't nervous about returning to jumping, but I know deep down it's definitely what I want to do (I can't begin to express how difficult the last eight months have been without being able to jump!)

So really my question is, what would people suggest I do to get myself back into the sport I love without overdoing it and hurting myself again? Oh and as a side note, due to my job I have moved DZs, so will be a new face in the crowd down here.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Hi,
I had returned to Skydiving after a 15 year lay off. To be honest the sport has changed so bloody much it was like starting again, all the jargon and new disciplines etc.. My first jump was 5k about a 15 second delay and bang...straight back. Now its as if i was never away, the skills just stay with you.
You have only been out the sport for a year, just rock upto the new DZ and get chatting. I find lurking Tandems is a good way of getting known and also getting recognised as a safe and compotant skydiver.

Did you figure out what caused your hard opening? I had one too. I didn't break anything but badly bruised and put me out for a month. I really saw stars! I am 100% anal about my packjobs now and deliberately pack them for soft openings.

P.S. Welcome back! Where you jumping?

Did you figure out what caused your hard opening?

I put my hands up and admit it was down to me rushing to make a load, had become a bit blasé over the previous few months about my packing. I learned the hard way when it came back to bite me. I've decided that it'st just not worth putting my health/life at risk just to make a load.

So 2013 is about relearning how to pack but this time doing it properly and safely. I'd rather it took me half hour to pack and miss the next load, than take 10 minutes, make the load and spend another year out of the sport or worse.

P.S. Welcome back! Where you jumping?

New DZ this season is going to be Netheravon. Nervous but very excited to go somewhere new!

I find lurking Tandems is a good way of getting known and also getting recognised as a safe and compotant skydiver.

Great advice there [:/]

For someone with only 200 jumps he should be no where near a tandem!

Keep it simple and keep it small till you're comfortable again.