NeonLights

Which downsize first scared you?

It didn't scare me but the biggest step in performance so far was from a Sabre2 150 to a Katana 135 at about 150 jumps.

The rate of descent when I released the brakes was amazing, and I had to bump up my pattern altitudes a lot. I had been doing 180s on my Sabre2 so the speed straight in on the 135 was not an issue.

Next step will be to x-brace (?VE 103) so we will see how that feels, but I don't anticipate it to be as big a step as the above. I have lots more to master before that move and 1.7 is a nice WL for me right now. Not boring but not scary.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

When I went from my Sabre 170 to a Samurai 150. I think it was more the change from a square to an elliptical that made the big difference. It didn't scare more, because before making the change I jumped a 150 Sabre and a 170 Samurai, to get a feel for the difference between sizes and (Sabre 170/150) vs Design (Sam 170 vs Sabre 170).

The change from the Sam 150 to 136 felt barely indistinguishable, was a bit faster but got used to it very quick. Now have gone to a Katana 120, much different flight characteristics to the Samurai but still does't feel as big a jump as the Sabre to the Sam was.

Went from a Sabre 2 190 to a Sabre 2 150 with 1 jump on a Sabre 2 170 in between.

Can't say I was scared but I definitely felt the difference! It was an amazing jump, hop n pop from 5k, tested out the canopy, stalled it, then started fooling around with toggles and fronts.

The turn speed was so different! And for the first time I was parallel to the ground during a 360. So exhilerating :)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Not really a downsize but a trusted friend let me try his Icarus Extreme 99 for a jump. My regular canopy is a Triathlon 120. I didn't do anything radical with it and came in straight on final the last 300 feet. The ground rush with the steep glide rate gave me a pretty good pucker factor but the flare was crisp and instantaneous and good for about 30 yards with my feet sliding on the ground. B|

Not what I want to jump all the time though. :S

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban