mistercwood

Jumping after shoulder dislocation

Just a general query for those here who've managed to bust themselves up with this gem of an injury - how long did you tend to be out before you felt comfortable going up again? Any particular exercises you felt were best to strengthen it for the rather unique positions we need to be in in freefall and under canopy? My progress has been steady, but slow... Add to this the areas I still have most reduced range of motion are the ones I need to be strong in both for a good arch and for throwing the PC. [:/]

Don't get me wrong, I listen to my physio, and I won't be back up before he says I'm good to go... but as an example, I told one of the guys running our exercise class at the hospital that I'd been advised to look at strapping the shoulder before jumping again for extra strength. He was cool with the idea, started making a few suggestions about how he'd do it, then proceeded to state that this would be the best way to stop it going up into the "catching a ball" position. I had to politely point out that this was exactly the position I need to be able to get to, and stable. We're still working on it... :P
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Hi, I had the same injury, once I had completed my rehab phase I was ready to jump again with no problems, I would however keep on top of the strength training. In the last 6 years I've had a double fractured back, shoulder operation, back operation due to prolapsed discs, oh and a fractured big toeB|, I have recovered from all of these injuries but I have to keep my fitness and strength up by working out constantly. You can do it mate;)

RED ON......GO!

There is no magic number. As you've done, talk to your physio and let them know exactly what you're trying to do. Keep up with your PT and they'll clear you when they clear you.

Don't rush back, either. Nothing worse than having an injury become chronic or require surgery because you don't want to wait any longer. I know waiting sucks, but so does reinjury ;)

After my third dislocation I had surgery. After that I took 6 months of intense physical therapy to get back to strength.

I still do lots of rotator cuff exercises in the gym. The resistance bands were good before I was up to full strength.

You can't rush it.

It may well happen again so plan your modified EPs, use an AAD and an RSL and try to learn to fly mantis.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Thanks all. No need to remind me about not rushing, I think the most appropriate quote I've read (it may have been here?) was "you can heal slowly, or you can rush it and end up healing REALLY slowly". :P I have ZERO intention of going through that pain again...

AAD and RSL are mandatory on student gear in Aus so that's covered already. My dislocation was on the ground after wrenching it in freefall during stage 1 AFF, if I'd not popped it then it almost would have definitely gone in the air on stage 2 - modified EPs are definitely something I've thought on and will discuss with my instructors before going up again.

Also, what's Mantis? :S

You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.